Lifelong learning- A costly affair?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I'm about to come across as an arse here Tony, but I can't understand why you have such a down trodden view of the world. If you want to achieve something or be somewhere then you have to fight to make it happen. Perhaps being employed is holding you back as you are hoping someone is going to help you acheive your personal goals?

I'f you can't afford to achieve your dreams in your current job get another. If your ideal job isn't out there then its down to you to create it, no one gets anything in this world without having to fight like a dog to get it.

For the record the most successful and most respected proffessionals I know are the ones who have a grass roots background in the industry and had spent years on the tools before they moved into other roles, not 20 somethings straight out of college. Also, with all due respect isn't the online FdSc a little over a thousand pounds a year? If this blows all your training budget and you can't go to seminars then you may just have to decide where the money is best spent. The seminars wil still be there in 3 years as will the degree, maybe you just need to be more patient.

Sorry if I'm about to come across as an arse here Tony, but I can't understand why you have such a down trodden view of the world. If you want to achieve something or be somewhere then you have to fight to make it happen. Perhaps being employed is holding you back as you are hoping someone is going to help you acheive your personal goals?

I'f you can't afford to achieve your dreams in your current job get another. If your ideal job isn't out there then its down to you to create it, no one gets anything in this world without having to fight like a dog to get it.

For the record the most successful and most respected proffessionals I know are the ones who have a grass roots background in the industry and had spent years on the tools before they moved into other roles, not 20 somethings straight out of college. Also, with all due respect isn't the online FdSc a little over a thousand pounds a year? If this blows all your training budget and you can't go to seminars then you may just have to decide where the money is best spent. The seminars wil still be there in 3 years as will the degree, maybe you just need to be more patient.

Fight like a dog?

you need a history lesson on the Hamas life! Trust me i fight, like a wild dog!

Budget? what budget? LOL i spend that which i do not have my friend. thats my point with the CPD stuff, its there as and when, a degree is NOW or else and its not just the fees of 1400 a year, its 60 a month on printer cartridges, more books maintaining subscriptions to current journals etc etc etc etc I cant do it, simples.

Ignore me, im just fed up, bored and desperate for a better life and puzzled as to how, when one fights as hard as i do and works as hard as i do and puts in "special effort" and actualy cares that i am still just hired muscle.

I am micro managed to the enth degree, and my opinion is worthless and ignored, i am a machine not an asset, and i want to be chalenged and valued again.

Jeez, with your knowledge and experience an employer should be taking steps to keep you surely. How about a new employer? Easier said than done at the moment of course but take a deep breath, sit in front of a mirror and tell that person what skills, knowledge, experience and personal qualities you have. By the time you're finished it'll be dark but you could edit that down to an impressive CV and that seems to be the name of the game these days. Even my teenage kids have written them ('personal statements') as part of Uni applications.

Or have I missed the trick with such a suggestion?

The only consistant thing in my life, is my ability to take a perfectly OK situation and mess about with it.

Therefore this is not advice.

Some people choose the academic route from life. Hang around in seats of learning, learning more and more about less and less till they know everything about nothing. They then trot into a job and earn a nice wedge, or pass what they havent forgotten yet on to others.

This all seems to me very boring until you get to the 'earning a nice wedge' stage, but the problem is many have got too boring by this stage to enjoy it.

Many tree people choose doing somthing you enjoy, straight out of school.

Instant gratification, with some cash thrown in. The problem occurs when you start thinking that maybe there is a little more.

All to soon, those educated types are 'looking down on you'.

sod 'em

Feeling disatisfied as others get 'better' has always been a curse of mine. I carry along nicely for a month or 5, then something happens, and I become very dissatisfied with my lot. I then sign up for OU courses, cast about for new jobs or embark on 'becoming a chainsaw instructor' missions. After a while it all dies down and I am happy with my lot once more.

This is the problem with being in an industry that is basically great, although individual situations leave a lot to be desired at times. It's just too easy to put up with it and plod along.

Here is the saving grace of the tree industry...

Its easy to tack about in it.

In my time I have been a piece rate subby. An employer. An employee. A freelance instructor. An assessor. A contract manager. A H+S auditor. A sub contractor.

In hind sight no move has ever been a mistake, but I do regret that sometimes I didn't move sooner.

Loving your working life is a great gift, but it can come with a heavy burden.

You certainly have a presence on arbtalk, I can see why you shouldn't have an equal one in the real world.

PS. I got many £K from the OU to support learning towards a degree. It ain't going to be an arb degree, but it'll be a degree all the same. It should be in the bag by about 2017 (unless I get dissatisfied in the meantime) Ha Ha.

mutsi atse, Bolt.:thumbup1:

Jeez, with your knowledge and experience an employer should be taking steps to keep you surely. How about a new employer? Easier said than done at the moment of course but take a deep breath, sit in front of a mirror and tell that person what skills, knowledge, experience and personal qualities you have. By the time you're finished it'll be dark but you could edit that down to an impressive CV and that seems to be the name of the game these days. Even my teenage kids have written them ('personal statements') as part of Uni applications.

Or have I missed the trick with such a suggestion?

You know, this post is the sort of thing I need, because what it makes me realise is that my own confidence is diminished, maybe this is down to being treated like the YTS boy and being blown out for jobs I interviewd for.

On the plus isde, I am looking and I have been asked to "apply" for a position so you never know.

But it is looking highly likely that i may just bite the bullet and go it alone again, i may have no option but to start my own firm, name of which i already have, and a direction for, this keeps me going:biggrin:

Why does it always seem to turn into the uneducated slating the educated and the educated slating the uneducated. Anyone who hasn't or isn't capable of achieving the level of education I have is not automatically a more exciting person than me you know. I have proved I can work on both sides of the fence.