Lifelong learning- A costly affair?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, i cant help it, i just like sharing, but needs must, you shall consider me a student, so tell me how to profit from that which I apparently know!:laugh1:

I've already given you a cracking idea on the cv thread.

Inclusional corporate environmental responsibility. Its the future. ( Might have to work on a slightly more catchy title though):thumbup1:

• 3 months later...

Well....

The wolves are at the door, had to drop the FdSc (£168 a month plus extras) am having to pull of the CPD circuit so no more seminars and if im realy carefull I MAY just be able to buy a book or two here and there from now on!

Im in the county court for a possesion order, and all my spending has been on "education" my shoes are falling of my feet for shrist sake, it aint like ive been a shopoholic or nothing!

So basicaly, learning is a costly affair, not to be taken on lightly, and would advise moving back home with the parents if your attempting any form of serious effort!

I cant get an interview cos my CV aint good enough!

I cant get the job cos im unqualified

and I cant qualify cos im broke!

Arboriculture sucks bigtime today.

sorry, but its true.

Well....

The wolves are at the door, had to drop the FdSc (£168 a month plus extras) am having to pull of the CPD circuit so no more seminars and if im realy carefull I MAY just be able to buy a book or two here and there from now on!

Im in the county court for a possesion order, and all my spending has been on "education" my shoes are falling of my feet for shrist sake, it aint like ive been a shopoholic or nothing!

So basicaly, learning is a costly affair, not to be taken on lightly, and would advise moving back home with the parents if your attempting any form of serious effort!

sorry, but its true.

Sorry that you're having such a crappy day. I don't know you and I don't know your situation, but things WILL turn around.

Arb is a notoriously underpaid profession, unless you are in the upper echelons of large compay ownership, in which case it's more about business management than arb. We all know this and the vast mojority of us accept that we will never be comfortable, let alone well off while doing something we love.

You choose to work in this industry because it's what you enjoy and despite the unpredictability of work and pay, how many people are lucky enough to say they have a job they get such satisfaction from? You don't have to pay huge amounts to educate yourself with the amount of info available online and experience and attitude are still worth a heck of a lot - those official qualifications are a starting position and aren't everything when it comes to getting a decent postion.

This may sound stupid, but have you tried your local Careers advice service for getting your CV tidied up? Just a thought :001_smile:

Well....

sorry, but its true.

Maybe you need some help with your money management. There are plenty of folk about who manage to finance themselves through further education on a modest wage

Can you not tap up your employer for a loan on the FdSc costs? Its not an expensive course and I'm sure they will benifit by offering a wider range of services once you've acheived your qualification

Maybe you need some help with your money management. There are plenty of folk about who manage to finance themselves through further education on a modest wage

Can you not tap up your employer for a loan on the FdSc costs? Its not an expensive course and I'm sure they will benifit by offering a wider range of services once you've acheived your qualification

Up till recently, i was working 7 days, full on climbing in order to finance it all.

The work at weekends slowed, and i fell behind.:thumbdown:

as for the last bit, seriously, what benifits would my employer get from me doing an FdSc?:001_huh:

They could offer a consultancy service. Borrow the money, maybe pay it back out your wages on condition of repayment should you leave. I'm encouraging one of my guys to do the tech cert on a similar arrangement.

Its only £1k a year, I'm sure your boss could help you out. Or find one that will

Sorry that you're having such a crappy day. I don't know you and I don't know your situation, but things WILL turn around.

Arb is a notoriously underpaid profession, unless you are in the upper echelons of large compay ownership, in which case it's more about business management than arb. We all know this and the vast mojority of us accept that we will never be comfortable, let alone well off while doing something we love.

You choose to work in this industry because it's what you enjoy and despite the unpredictability of work and pay, how many people are lucky enough to say they have a job they get such satisfaction from? You don't have to pay huge amounts to educate yourself with the amount of info available online and experience and attitude are still worth a heck of a lot - those official qualifications are a starting position and aren't everything when it comes to getting a decent postion.

This may sound stupid, but have you tried your local Careers advice service for getting your CV tidied up? Just a thought :001_smile:

thanks janey, I will find a way, always do, always will.:thumbup:

its just a bad day, on so many counts:thumbdown: