Fatality in Dorset

Lloyd Jerrey

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor bloke and family... not been on here all that long, has it always been this frequent or am I just hearing about more of them now that there is a medium through which to hear about it?

Another fatality over here last wednesday. Was reluctant to post it. Utility arborist 27 years old in Clare was climbing with a pole saw and contacted the 20kv line. Shouldn't have had it up there with him. HSA and the ESB pulled us all off the tools for a week.

Poor bloke and family... not been on here all that long, has it always been this frequent or am I just hearing about more of them now that there is a medium through which to hear about it?

Very very sad news. Ditto the above though, has it been this bad all along?

Another fatality over here last wednesday. Was reluctant to post it. Utility arborist 27 years old in Clare was climbing with a pole saw and contacted the 20kv line. Shouldn't have had it up there with him. HSA and the ESB pulled us all off the tools for a week.

Scotty - Horrific for those working close by and very sad for those left behind.

Been accidents up this way last few months too hear a lads arm went in the chipper up to his shoulder also a lad was tied onto dead wood fell and broke his back and in the last week someone think he was unqualified but was cutting on a bank and rolled down with the saw imbedded in his leg don't like hearing these stories to be honest but keeps you thinking be safe lads!!!!

This is happening all too often. I am getting more and more such cases each year. Please, please lads and lassies remember tree work is always potentially dangerous. Think and think again before taking any action. I hear of so many such cases and accidents from around the world, that however does not make UK accidents easier to reconcile.

Above all climb and work safely. My condolences to family and friends of our lost brother.

Colin Bashford

ISA International President Elect.

This is really sad news my thoughts go to his family, freinds and work mates. this is the second death this month, I know we all think it wont happen to us and the majority of us work in a safe and efficeint manner but lets not forget that just one lapse of consentration and thats it.

I can't belive i will be getting the lads in for the second time this month to let them know about this awfull accident and to make sure they know what a dangerous occupation they've decided to get into.

In my 20 years plus in the industry as a climber, instructor/assessor and now manager i think this year has been the worst for injuries and fatalities, correct me if I'm wrong.

I know health and safety is the responsibility of the employer and the employee and i dont think we need to have H&S legistlation rammed down our throats after an incident like this but to all managers whether one or one hundred employees make sure the lads and lasses are safe and if not DONT put them to work.

I'm new to the board and its very sad to hear of yet another departure....Thoughts to family and colleagues.

The Hse will obviously investigate.I think its very important that we learn what went wrong here. Accident and Incident reporting is so essential to help others not to make the same mistake. I'm sure the senior members would support that concept.