Bugs, bees and beasties- Bio-diversity matters

White Noise

It's sometimes difficult with Blues to get a positive i.d without seeing the under wing, but they are definitely not Adonis Blues.

Yve - you're a lot closer; but given the habitat, location and time of year, I'm going for Silver-studded Blue. As I said, it's tricky without seeing underneath, but the thicker black wing margins on the male would clinch it for me.:001_smile:

Due to this reply i have investigated further than my shallow preliminery identification, and as you rightly point out, these are NOT adonis blues and are as you say silver studded blues.

i had other images and as in this image, the blue scales on the dots to the hind wings are cleary evident and how this species is identified.

Thanks for pulling my ident up for scrutiny:thumbup1:

a very good call:blushing:

597657389187e_butterflies185.jpg.1f88ef6cd099bdc2cd5ca9c2e1763afa.jpg

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is very interesting. I've been in the countryside all my life, had an active interest in wildlife in general, but the Bugs, bees and beasties seem to have passed me by somehow. Now I've started to see the "mini-world" in a new light, seems I have a lot of catching up and learning to do!! Cheers Hama and the others for this:thumbup:

This thread is very interesting. I've been in the countryside all my life, had an active interest in wildlife in general, but the Bugs, bees and beasties seem to have passed me by somehow. Now I've started to see the "mini-world" in a new light, seems I have a lot of catching up and learning to do!! Cheers Hama and the others for this:thumbup:

Keep an eye out for those big woody things with green barnets and long toes, Andy.

You'll like them, I'm sure :001_tt2:

i had other images and as in this image, the blue scales on the dots to the hind wings are cleary evident and how this species is identified.

Thanks for pulling my ident up for scrutiny:thumbup1:

a very good call:blushing:

No worries, Blues can be a little confusing at times, especially in the field - some of the Fritillaries are as well - but that's the thing with natural history, you never stop learning.

I'm fine with most wildlife - birds, mammals, trees, flowers etc and the more obvious insects, but when it comes to some groups I really struggle. I can i.d most ant species, for example, but when you get on to ,say, smaller Coleoptera (beetles) and it involves counting the no. of segments on the antennae, then it's easy to lose the will to live - or find something else to do.:biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are people out there who can i.d some of the more obscure members of the animal kingdom, but I'm afraid it's an anorak too far for me!:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...