Height reduction of a lime in hale, manchester

AlderwoodTreeCare

Hi Alderwood, thanks for the post.

As you specified it is a 'height reduction', not all over crown reduction, but it does appear a tad excessive for a drop crotch technique and it doens't quite achieve a natural form.

I'm interested to learn more about the training/mentoring etc. you've received, and your interpretation of the works undertaken, as I have concerns that 'the message' is just not getting into certain parts of the training world regarding pruning standards...often than not this involves none commercial/industry based training providers, hmmm.

Cheers..

Paul

Paul

Try posting a pole on how many have had recognised training on prunning a tree and you will be shocked.

I have done some work with very experienced climbers that could not tell me why when or where to prune a tree and what kinds of reductions would be suitable to certain species ect or even how to do a nice reduction

TBH i have seen a lot worse than this tree.

and at least it,s a lime:thumbup:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things;

I've been in this industry for 20+ years and I'm still learning as I go. A lot of good information comes from this forum and if new comers to the industry can learn anything from criticism, take it on board and improve it can only be a good thing.

Some customers, no matter how much you try to convince them otherwise, will always want their tree/s topped for sunlight, views etc and if it's topping(let's call it what it is) they want and their willing to pay what can you do when money is short?

If you want to see some bad pruning take a look at plantamnesty.org and click on sheer madness galleries. They also have some pretty good leaflets.

Hi Ian, that's exactly my point.

We really do need to get to the root of the problem (forgive the pun) as, IMO, wihtout access to a very good mentor it's highly unlikley many 'new/young' arborist, who can clearly climb well as with 'Alderwood', will develop into skilled arborists.

Many of the ND Arbs whihc used to include a middle year workplacement no longer do and that's one significant factor in my mind.

Cheers..

Paul

going to the point of work placement on the ND I am at myerscough and my group are the last that will go out on ayear placement, and i think one of the reasons for ascrapping it is the fact there is very little work for very inexperienced lads in the UK,

hence my post at this hour as i have just got in from the one steady job i hvae in a nightclub! whihc frankly gives me no arb experience and I am beginging to feel my placement year has been an utter waste of time

I've got a customer with a large chestnut far too close to her garage and with poor form should go really and re-plant something better but she doesn't want it taken out at all so wants it halved a pollard really and it will look crap but if I don't do it someone else will it's all money

Exactly, I wholly agree, you have a professional (and probably moral) duty to eductae the client to the error of their ways BUT if they're hell bent on doing that then better you do it safely for them than others who may not...and, afterall, get some return on your time spent with them.

This scenario often arises with AC assessment when I pose the question, usually in relation to 'topping a Poplar'. In reply, and as a last resort, I will accept the contractor may undertake the work BUT only after they've fully explained all the consequences to the client and why it doesn't accord with good arb practice AND offer alternatives....ideally then document this in the quote = fair do's!

DON'T get me wrong, I'm certainly NOT advocating this is acceptable really, and certainly not as the norm, BUT, on occasion when the quote book is looking a little sparse then you have aliving to earn.

Cheers all..

Paul

Paul

Try posting a pole on how many have had recognised training on prunning a tree and you will be shocked.

I have done some work with very experienced climbers that could not tell me why when or where to prune a tree and what kinds of reductions would be suitable to certain species ect or even how to do a nice reduction

TBH i have seen a lot worse than this tree.

and at least it,s a lime:thumbup:

My view of newcomers to the industry, with notbale exceptions and most of whom post here on Arbtalk (hope that gets me out of it!), is that we have many very competent tree climbers AND many very competent climbers / chainsawers BUT few 'competent arborist', i.e. who can climb, use a chainsaw well BUT most imporatntly, when it comes to pruning, know where (and when) to cut...and probably when to lose the noisy cutting thing and go for the old fashioned approach...15" Sandvik yeah!!!!

Cheers..

Paul

going to the point of work placement on the ND I am at myerscough and my group are the last that will go out on ayear placement, and i think one of the reasons for ascrapping it is the fact there is very little work for very inexperienced lads in the UK,

hence my post at this hour as i have just got in from the one steady job i hvae in a nightclub! whihc frankly gives me no arb experience and I am beginging to feel my placement year has been an utter waste of time

I'm really sorry to hear the industry is not supporting you Alex and I sincerely hope someone here can help give you the opporrtunity you deserve...c'mon guys???

I worked the doors, too many years ago, was it more fun than tree climbing?...certainly the old 'Riverside Club' (just outside Southport) had several memeorable moments in my formative years!

Enjoy..

Paul

My view of newcomers to the industry, with notbale exceptions and most of whom post here on Arbtalk (hope that gets me out of it!), is that we have many very competent tree climbers AND many very competent climbers / chainsawers BUT few 'competent arborist', i.e. who can climb, use a chainsaw well BUT most imporatntly, when it comes to pruning, know where (and when) to cut...and probably when to lose the noisy cutting thing and go for the old fashioned approach...15" Sandvik yeah!!!!

Cheers..

Paul

The last 2 times we have interviewed for experienced arborists 1 of the questions was what can you tell me about BS3998 and honestly 2 out of 20 had a clue

and a few of them had over 10yrs experience and ran teams and even head guy at another LA

P.S the weapon of choice was a 21" Sandvik :blushing:

I'm really sorry to hear the industry is not supporting you Alex and I sincerely hope someone here can help give you the opporrtunity you deserve...c'mon guys???

I worked the doors, too many years ago, was it more fun than tree climbing?...certainly the old 'Riverside Club' (just outside Southport) had several memeorable moments in my formative years!

Enjoy..

Paul

always a dicie one down at the riverside no back up for miles around! But yeh would love to say come on fella's give the lads that need experience a chance but at the moment from what I can gather in my area not many people seem to have enough work to satisfy themselves never mind anyone else,

going back to the topic though, the pruning modules which we study are very informative, and give you plenty of guidence as to what you need to do in the tree but I find that once your up there every situation is different so until you have some good experience of it then its hard to know what will look good from the ground where everyone else will see it!

That's right mate it's all about practice and having someone experienced to teach I love taking big trees down and think I'm pretty good and confident at it but with reductions your learning all the time and can pick little faults all the time I always want to perfect them more or think I could of done better. With this in mind I wouldn't tell someone their work is crap it's not goin to learn them nowt or give them confidence I wonder how many people would give him the same stick to his face when not sat behind a computer