Height reduction of a lime in hale, manchester

AlderwoodTreeCare

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alderwood, thanks for the post.

As you specified it is a 'height reduction', not all over crown reduction, but it does appear a tad excessive for a drop crotch technique and it doens't quite achieve a natural form.

I'm interested to learn more about the training/mentoring etc. you've received, and your interpretation of the works undertaken, as I have concerns that 'the message' is just not getting into certain parts of the training world regarding pruning standards...often than not this involves none commercial/industry based training providers, hmmm.

Cheers..

Paul

Very diplomatic.

Although you know you are in trouble when AA Teccie wades in on a 'look at my work' thread:lol:

Have you seen the reduced (topped) Syc's on the site, that also have a 'natural shape'?

Very diplomatic.

Although you know you are in trouble when AA Teccie wades in on a 'look at my work' thread:lol:

Have you seen the reduced (topped) Syc's on the site, that also have a 'natural shape'?

'By chance' I looked in.

I know it's easy to be critcial BUT I'm concerned as to 'why?' things like this are happening...and too often. Dare I say its an 'industry' problem which we need to collectievly resolve.

Hence I sincerly hope 'Alderwood' responds.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Not seen the topped Syccie...but then again is that such a bad things for a Syccie????....oooops!

'By chance' I looked in.

I know it's easy to be critcial BUT I'm concerned as to 'why?' things like this are happening...and too often. Dare I say its an 'industry' problem which we need to collectievly resolve.

Hence I sincerly hope 'Alderwood' responds.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Not seen the topped Syccie...but then again is that such a bad things for a Syccie????....oooops!

Yeh, I know exactly what you mean. I assume to post on here and use the pics on his site he must be proud of the work, indicating to us that maybe there is a lack of understanding.

I'm not the worlds authority on such things, far from it, but from my point of view, if you think its wrong, then its wrong.:thumbup1:

I just think it doesn't look very nice:blushing:

Yeh, I know exactly what you mean. I assume to post on here and use the pics on his site he must be proud of the work, indicating to us that maybe there is a lack of understanding.

I'm not the worlds authority on such things, far from it, but from my point of view, if you think its wrong, then its wrong.:thumbup1:

I just think it doesn't look very nice:blushing:

I totally agree on both counts, let's just hope he posts back!

Oh dear, leaves abit to be desired imo.

It does raise concern as you say AA Teccie, it is still happening far too often, without wanting to de-rail I'm concerned about the number of guys coming out of college ''fully qualified'' with only nptc tickets and no arboricultural knowledge whatsoever then going into business with (potentially)no pruning expertise, how can this be right, shouldn't there be some form of minimal arb training alongside nptc training.

Oh dear, leaves abit to be desired imo.

It does raise concern as you say AA Teccie, it is still happening far too often, without wanting to de-rail I'm concerned about the number of guys coming out of college ''fully qualified'' with only nptc tickets and no arboricultural knowledge whatsoever then going into business with (potentially)no pruning expertise, how can this be right, shouldn't there be some form of minimal arb training alongside nptc training.

Hi Ian, that's exactly my point.

We really do need to get to the root of the problem (forgive the pun) as, IMO, wihtout access to a very good mentor it's highly unlikley many 'new/young' arborist, who can clearly climb well as with 'Alderwood', will develop into skilled arborists.

Many of the ND Arbs whihc used to include a middle year workplacement no longer do and that's one significant factor in my mind.

Cheers..

Paul

Though I tend to agree with the sentiments posted here, at the end of the day the clents were happy with their work, paid up and probably recommend them elsewhere to friends and families. I do hope the opinions posted here dont put Alderwood off posting future work, and that he takes the criticism onboard and uses it in a positive manner. Many of us do operate in isolation, not seeing how others carry out their jobs. I see the use of Arbtalk to learn more about all aspects of tree work as an important tool in furthering our education, and this can only be a good thing, either for the trees, for safety, and for education. Thanks for posting Alderwood, and please take the criticism in the right way.:001_smile:

Though I tend to agree with the sentiments posted here, at the end of the day the clents were happy with their work, paid up and probably recommend them elsewhere to friends and families. I do hope the opinions posted here dont put Alderwood off posting future work, and that he takes the criticism onboard and uses it in a positive manner. Many of us do operate in isolation, not seeing how others carry out their jobs. I see the use of Arbtalk to learn more about all aspects of tree work as an important tool in furthering our education, and this can only be a good thing, either for the trees, for safety, and for education. Thanks for posting Alderwood, and please take the criticism in the right way.:001_smile:

That's a fair point Andy and apologies if it feels like wholly negative comments about the job, the customer may have had very specific requirements and as has been said in previous threads we are a service industry, we also as aborists have a responsibility to try to educate/inform customers about good/bad arb practice etc. My previous comment was as much about general training issues in the industry.

I also hope Alderwood takes the comments in the spirit of Arbtalk:thumbup1:

Hi Alderwood, thanks for the post.

As you specified it is a 'height reduction', not all over crown reduction, but it does appear a tad excessive for a drop crotch technique and it doens't quite achieve a natural form.

I'm interested to learn more about the training/mentoring etc. you've received, and your interpretation of the works undertaken, as I have concerns that 'the message' is just not getting into certain parts of the training world regarding pruning standards...often than not this involves none commercial/industry based training providers, hmmm.

Cheers..

Paul

I found out last week that as far as "in tree" operations are concerned at merrist wood at least they are not taught to reduce, and its all deadwooding in the wood there, and nobody is instructing from within the tree, the students are given points from ground and as we all know, once in the tree the game and method can and often is a very different one altogether.

i agree with you paul, this situation is universal, and we are pumping out qualified but unskilled arbs. i just realised I said unskilled! thats implying we arbs have a skill! which is not so according to the AT forumers!:001_tt2:

Somebody please get up the flipping tree and teach the job.:thumbdown:

P1070460.jpg.1cd89c358759bbef968c0ecd63bd72ef.jpg