business via websites?

I'd like a web site but not sure which to do really, yellow pages or web site? Im just staring out on my own doing aborticulture. I was with a landscape company who did some trees when needed but was very vare, and have cs31,32,34,35,38,39 and have a National Diploma in landscape studies, not bigging myself up in anyway. Thing i dont understand is i read on one website that people who post flyers to advertise themselfs in this kind of work are not qualified to do the work. Sorry it just relly winds me up how people can turn round and say this. Just makes it harder for me to try and get off the ground.:cussing: Bit off the subject so sorry about that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A web site costs very little, mine ain't great, I've done nothing to it in ages but people do go and check it out. It got an average of 13 visits a day so far this month! Only 12% are from UK servers however and who can figure out the stats..? Most will probabbly be web bots etc...

They do ensure that people can get a feel for you and know that you are not some fly by night co.. I don't know if many people are going to google tree work and find me, but yell.com is how I would look for a business and if I find one I'd like to see a bit more info about them. Yell.com is not cheap IMO..

ian, i'd do both.....go for a cheap ad in yellow pages, just a text box, focusing on your website address, then invest the bigger part of your advertising budget into your website....but thats just my opinion.

Yer your probley right on that, never realised how much hard work it is just advertising yourself. Suppose what i did different though when i did my flyers was, i took the time to have business cards printed and also had a landline number. And wrote a introductory letter saying who i was and from where. I think i'll do yellow pages first then go from there like you said.

Cheers Steve

I'd like a web site but not sure which to do really, yellow pages or web site? Im just staring out on my own doing aborticulture. I was with a landscape company who did some trees when needed but was very vare, and have cs31,32,34,35,38,39 and have a National Diploma in landscape studies, not bigging myself up in anyway. Thing i dont understand is i read on one website that people who post flyers to advertise themselfs in this kind of work are not qualified to do the work. Sorry it just relly winds me up how people can turn round and say this. Just makes it harder for me to try and get off the ground.:cussing: Bit off the subject so sorry about that.

I've worked for a company in the past that fell slack on the work front, so we were sent out with boxes of flyers all around the immediate area, cant say if it worked out as I left shortly after this, but this company has been going for quite a few years, and is still going to this day, so I wouldn't say that its not a professional approach.

My site is shi te, wrote it ages ago and have not got round to updating it yet.

One good bit of advice i was given is that slow load times can put some people off - they just want to get to the info they have gone there for. Give two options on your home page - flash and none flash.

Like i said mine is not good but I will just tart it up a bit as it is then add a flash version.

(If you dont want your identity to be known then dont have a bloody web site :heeeelllllooooo:)