screw type splitters

rowan lee

Can’t argue with that but I don’t see how it is a relevant comparison. Most chippers are (ought to be) fitted with in feed protection devices and are probably as safe as they can be made.

If you have an accident with a chipper it’s likely to be because the protection devices weren’t working as they should or the operator did something they shouldn’t have.

Screw type splitters are popular because of their absolute simplicity but it is that very simplicity that makes it difficult to provide operator safety.

Hitting a stop button or pulling a string to shut down the tractor will stop the machine but not instantly. The machine has the potential to do a lot more damage while you are waiting for it to come to a stop. The string method most commonly used isn’t fail safe. It takes a few seconds for the engine to stop (it will feel more like ours if you are hurt). If you let go before the engine has come to a stop, it will pick up again and continue to run. If you panic and pull to hard the string snaps and the machine continues to run.

We have enhanced operator protection for chippers because there were a couple of serious accidents. A couple of similar incidents will bring screw type splitters to the attention of the HSE.

Andy

Agree completely, did you see how close the operators are to the spinning drive immediately behind the head. If a piece of clothing touches that its going to grab you and throw you straight at the head.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An unguarded shaft is always pretty scary.

If it grabs you the best you can hope for is maiming, worst case it will kill you in a painful manner.

The machine on fleabay doesn’t have a counter guard fitted. Even if the PTO shaft they are using did have the guard it should have, it would still leave exposed rotating parts and without the counter guard it wouldn’t have a prayer of meeting CE requirements.

The machine isn’t advertised as CE compliant so there will be CE and PUWER issues but given the lack of guarding safety doesn’t seem to be high on their agenda.

I would say for best practice that the PTO shaft (on any screw type) ought to have an overload clutch or shear pin fitted. I have seen a couple that have self destructed and or damaged the tractor.

Andy

An unguarded shaft is always pretty scary.

If it grabs you the best you can hope for is maiming, worst case it will kill you in a painful manner.

The machine on fleabay doesn’t have a counter guard fitted. Even if the PTO shaft they are using did have the guard it should have, it would still leave exposed rotating parts and without the counter guard it wouldn’t have a prayer of meeting CE requirements.

The machine isn’t advertised as CE compliant so there will be CE and PUWER issues but given the lack of guarding safety doesn’t seem to be high on their agenda.

I would say for best practice that the PTO shaft (on any screw type) ought to have an overload clutch or shear pin fitted. I have seen a couple that have self destructed and or damaged the tractor.

Andy

You wont be buying one then mate? Where's your sense of adventure?

Death by PTO cant be that bad, can it?:lol:

You wont be buying one then mate? Where's your sense of adventure?

Death by PTO cant be that bad, can it?:lol:

Nothing against them in principal although if I had one it would have to be fitted with an electromagnetic clutch and a kill switch in the driveline.

Death by PTO?..........You decide, I realise this is only a straw filled boiler suit but the result wouldn’t be a lot different with a body. It will still tear your arm off and chuck your carcass across the yard.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBSwOS90wgQ&feature=youtube_gdata]YouTube - The dangers of an unguarded PTO shaft[/ame]

Nothing against them in principal although if I had one it would have to be fitted with an electromagnetic clutch and a kill switch in the driveline.

Death by PTO?..........You decide, I realise this is only a straw filled boiler suit but the result wouldn’t be a lot different with a body. It will still tear your arm off and chuck your carcass across the yard.

Good video, that was exactly the concern I was expressing in my first post.

screw splitters are all right for doing bits yourself, but had a few bruised knuckles in the past when we used to have one years ago, I wouldnt ever ask an employee to use one though as they do come keen when the log kicks back on your hand.

get a cheap log splitter like an oxedale, safer.

We have Hakki Pilke Eagle bench saw with screw splitter. Not had many problems with it so far but only use it when cutting long straight timber that needs to be split, quick and easy to use when the machine is already set up. The cone is covered with a guard and only exposed as the log is presented to it on a pivotted bed. There is also a knife fitted underneath to prevent logs being thrown off.

The only problem I've had is when the log is very knotty, the screw grabs it and just drills itself in - bit of a pain to remove, so no more knotty stuff!

Get a hycrack. They have shear pins and the shaft is guarded. They are excellent splitters and you would have to be a total tw at to get caught up in one. Brilliant machines, just a modecom of common sencse is needed. Very efficient and much faster than these hydraulic ram based things. about 700 notes and its yours......Hycrack (Hy-Crack) the screw type log splitter - The Safe, Fast & Efficient way to split logs

treequip

If you have an accident with a chipper it’s likely to be because the protection devices weren’t working as they should or the "operator did something they shouldn’t have."

That was my thought , I have sacked someone on the spot for pushing brush in a chipper with there foot.

So like most things there are do's and dont's and common sense, everything we use day to day can cause injury

The safety can be improved I agree it wasnt a dig

I wonder if your words 'thats a bad idea' haunt him lol

Get a hycrack. They have shear pins and the shaft is guarded. They are excellent splitters and you would have to be a total tw at to get caught up in one. Brilliant machines, just a modecom of common sencse is needed. Very efficient and much faster than these hydraulic ram based things. about 700 notes and its yours......Hycrack (Hy-Crack) the screw type log splitter - The Safe, Fast & Efficient way to split logs

short bits of knotty timber flipping over and smashing your hands up with the power of a pto on a tractor behind it are very likely posibility with one that is a fact....:thumbdown: the only **** i would see doing that is some one using one,and i admit i probably am after the warning i was given about using and buying one in the first place.