My new Hobbs H2

RC0

I may be wrong here, but having used mewps and a grcs block for all types of treework I would not say they are massive time savers.

I always hear this come up about how much quicker is a grcs/hobbs at lowering a tree or how much quicker it is to use a mewp.

It always seems that this is a deciding factor, i,e how much quicker can I do it and will it earn me more money.

And I always have to say its not any quicker, it just opens up a whole load of possibilties, some of these possibilites mean doing certain jobs more effceintly and to a higher standard. Or by giving you an edge by being able to take on jobs without the need to hire in equipment or by doing something ineffciently.

We bought a grcs as an alternative to a tirfor/portable winch, it allowed us to do trees that other tree crews could not do in the past because they were difficult. We did them not massively quicker than the hard way, but a damn sight easier.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting Reg, excellent video.

The helmet-cam shots really help to see whats going on from the climber's point of view. The Hobbs definatley allows for a smoother run and is a lot more predictable than the Porty.

The drop at 9.30 looks a bit close for comfort, maybe your groundie could've removed the slack before the drop? but I guess you wanted a little run, right?

Thanks again for another great vid.

Bloody hell Reg! I would have loved to have picked my old bosses chippers up ha ha brilliant.

Great vid. Nice big chunks as well.

Those vertical sections on the lombardy - I used to love doing multistemmers with our GRCS. Total control, I used to step cut them, turn the saw off and talk the winch man through the lift.

Do you ever worry about mounting the winch in the fall path? Its hard to get the rigging lines right if you move it but it used to concern me with the big lumps.

I may be wrong here, but having used mewps and a grcs block for all types of treework I would not say they are massive time savers.

Totally right Marc, there are a lot of factors to take into account..

But speed is not everything as you have said in the rest of your post it is also about efficeincy.

I have used my mewp where accuracy is needed, I can take down an overhanging branch bit by bit and handle lumps into a small drop zone.

Sometimes it quicker and easier to climb and other times the Mewp comes into play.

I really like the look of this thing, i used a grcs when doing my cs41 and i liked that too. I have recently started using a portawrap instead of a bollard which i made myself years ago. To be honest the bollard is much better than the porty, this looks like all the advantages of the bollard with the added winching ability. Does it have some sort of gearing like the grcs or are you just turning the drum when winching?

Nice work and great video. You can cut a flat notch into the tree to keep the Hobbs from sliding on big pieces. I think you were doing it but pretensioning the rope while taking out trunk sections helps a good bit.

Have fun with the new toy. I've used a Hobbs quite a bit but my new boss is too poor to buy one. Stupid bugger.

Always good to see homemade stuff Tom, got any pics of the bollard set up?

No pics though I coult take some if you want to copy it, I used to do a bit of welding so i made it when i first started out on my own. Its much kinder on the rope than a porty, I have seriously glazed my new lowering rope with my new porty.