Nesting Birds.

John Hancock

Its that time of year again…..

Are you guys still cutting conifer and hedges? Or are you going to turn work down because you’re responsible Arbs with a conscience? :sneaky2:

I wouldn't commence a job knowing that wildlife is nesting in it, including pigeons and squirrels. I know many have a different view on this, but personally don't like disturbing or killing anything, regardless of what the law states. Have usually found people will wait, but then my work is generally domestic with no great urgency.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the interesting bit is the term "disturb" nesting birds and as i understand that doesn`t necessarily have to mean destroy. I think that in practice, as its a statute issuse, therefore a police matter, its unlikley that prosecutions are likley to go ahead unless there is a case of notable neglegence or malice.

I bring up the point of disturb because i was once buisybodied by someone for using a chipper in nesting season!! in truth the birds probably were disturbed but i doubt anyone would prosecute for that.

In practice i don`t start work if i know there are birds nesting, if i find them i work round them and if i colide with one i move it to a safe place.

I think the interesting bit is the term "disturb" nesting birds and as i understand that doesn`t necessarily have to mean destroy. I think that in practice, as its a statute issuse, therefore a police matter, its unlikley that prosecutions are likley to go ahead unless there is a case of notable neglegence or malice.

I bring up the point of disturb because i was once buisybodied by someone for using a chipper in nesting season!! in truth the birds probably were disturbed but i doubt anyone would prosecute for that.

In practice i don`t start work if i know there are birds nesting, if i find them i work round them and if i colide with one i move it to a safe place.

Ditto

hi gang

there was a comment erlierabout not covering this on the rfs, well the sylibus says you should, but it is oftern skirted over as it is a damm hard bit of law.

in a nut shell you have wild life & country side, Country side and rights of way and more recently the habitat regs

the offence is reclessly disturb destroy bla bla bla, and really it covers every thing birds bats etc, but there are a number of species identified as 'pests' ummmmm and the thing about them is the by felling the tree with out the land owners permison is were things go wrong.

we are in the middle of training all our cutter basic ecoligy law and ident of key species that will get you in big trouble.

you will find that your local defra office will always help with advice but remember the offence hingies on recless...

and another ps squirells and peogions are 'pests' but breed all year round be carful

have permission, do it right

kev

when i was on my ND i was tought that if a legal quarry species is sat on eggs then you can't disturb them but if they've hatched then you can dispatch them humamely, knock on head/wring they're necks etc any1 else heard this? it's not illegal for me to shoot/ dispsatch of quarry so y should it be any different if i'm up the tree?

Haven't touched conifer hedges during spring and summer for years. Single trees always seem to contain a greenfinch's nest and even the smallest hedge two or three of them.

As for pigeons...well squab pie's tasty:001_tongue:

At least you,re not wasting anything. I couldnt kill chicks but I do take dove and pigeon eggs home for my polecats. They push them around until they break, then have a right feast.

They'll enjoy that. A long time ago when I was young and foolish I gave my ferrets a treat. We'd shot some Canadas and I chucked one into the ferret run. The body cavity became their home and it would have taken a brave man to evict them:001_smile:

They'll enjoy that. A long time ago when I was young and foolish I gave my ferrets a treat. We'd shot some Canadas and I chucked one into the ferret run. The body cavity became their home and it would have taken a brave man to evict them:001_smile:

LOL, you should have sent the bailiffs in..........A couple of days ago my two found a toad trespassing in their run.....Toady was ripped to shreads for his crime.

LOL, you should have sent the bailiffs in..........A couple of days ago my two found a toad trespassing in their run.....Toady was ripped to shreads for his crime.

Reminds me of the best spaniel I ever had. Always had to retrieve a toad if he found one and then spent an hour foaming at the mouth:001_smile:

Back to the original thread.....we've pulled off clearance job for LA today with about a weeks work left on it. Two blackbirds nests. Oh well.... back in Oct.