Starting out climbing when your older.

Mike Hill

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont understand why starting a business would have little backing from the forum..

a VERY wealthy business man told me " it doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing,,,, just make sure you surround yourself with people that do"

now i know that i dont have much tree experience, but i sure as sh+t know how to run a company and market it, etc etc.. i've been in this game for 5 minutes, but i've already got a nice contract about to start and another on the cards.. for the first job i'll be employing a climber and a groundie, as well as providing insurance cover for all, chipper, trailer, transport and if they're real lucky, some darn nice coffee.....

please can you tell me what is wrong with that, and more importantly, why the forum would "frown" at it... because if that's true... i'll spend my time elsewhere.......

Somthing for you to play, and a little Cheese for your Whine Sir.

come on mike you know full well it would be to late in life to learn the violine !:001_tt2:

Mike hi, I'm old, very old by your standards but I'm coming back into treework at 45, yep that's right middle aged(ouch) and whilst I can see some of where you're coming from I think you are missing certain points which have been answered already by others.

I don't want to compete against 20/30somethings, I'm doing this purely for myself, working for myself at my pace which I know is plenty fast enough to make money by.

I have no illusions about what I'm undertaking and the age related concessions I may have to make plus will def take advantage of improved gear and mechanical aids whenever possible, but I'm not ready to roll over just yet:thumbup1:

I think you are being grossly negative really Mike. I have boundless respect for your experience, knowledge and drive, but the 2 best climbers i have seen are 58 (mentioned earlier) and 42. The 58 y.o got into tree work late according to you, and has a phenomenal reputation. I have worked alongside another groundy with him climbing, and 2 of us were struggling to keep the brash cleared....all day long....until about 7.30pm. He has had carpal tunnel ops, and is missing about 1/3 of one foot, but i have yet to see many that will keep up with him. It is almost like watching someone in a comp....almost.

My point is that there is no general rule IMO. A large part of it is mind over matter, and sheer determination.

Fair enough Tommer.

My original point was that now more than ever there seems to be more older climbers getting into this Trade.

As I maintained,I have never worked with a learner climber that started late.To be honest I wouldn't consider a trainee in their 30's as the cut and thrust of it is that they will use my company to gain experiance and set up in competition.

Plus it sounds like most of them are slow.

Edited by Mike Hill
typo

not necessary mike.... i think you've totally mis understood my point with that comment.

this was a healthy debate,, i'm entitled to an opinion the same as you.. if you want to go down the youtube route and start getting childish i think i'll bow out and go walk the dog......

sean... well said..

wow, soo many opinions and statements i want to comment to!

first of all defenderjack, Traitor sell the skis and get back on it.

imho. i'm 25 and startin out in this game, i dont expect to be quick and fast, but i do know that i've got a body that will work and take knocks, i dont expect to be work fit for a while unless i get to drag brash, climb, cut and wash the van 6 days a week for a good few months, and as for learning the job, i dont reckon anyone knows everything.

not necessary mike.... i think you've totally mis understood my point with that comment.

this was a healthy debate,, i'm entitled to an opinion the same as you.. if you want to go down the youtube route and start getting childish i think i'll bow out and go walk the dog......

sean... well said..

Dogs get well walked in these heated arbtalk wee chats, I'm joining you to take my cat for his evening stroll. I don't need to chillout though as I'm way too old to have got annoyed thus far:biggrin:

wow, soo many opinions and statements i want to comment to!

first of all defenderjack, Traitor sell the skis and get back on it.

imho. i'm 25 and startin out in this game, i dont expect to be quick and fast, but i do know that i've got a body that will work and take knocks, i dont expect to be work fit for a while unless i get to drag brash, climb, cut and wash the van 6 days a week for a good few months, and as for learning the job, i dont reckon anyone knows everything.

Your work fitness willbe vastly improved by regular gym visits.

Also if it is your first time in a physical job,nutrition and hydration are vital.

Your dead right about your last statement.

"If you think you know everything,you probably know nothing"