The lock jack is it really worth it ?

TREE-SURGEON-ESSEX

didn't give it long enough matty by the sounds of things. they take awhile to get the knack of(i think it was about 3 months, not sure). i find learners on them seem to use the toggle thing alot and bounce around the place. look very unsure. limb walks i always pull the rope out from above the device(you can run along limbs), then push it back in as i come in. also their probably at their worst when there new. and lj's can be annoying when your climbing above your anchor point. there not perfect

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use my lock jack most of the time BUT i still use i distel on ocean pollyester 8mm cord at other times . i have found that the lock jack is one of severasl options available to me but i personally find myself using it on most jobs unless its a small tree or my rope is soaking wet. as for the hitch climber i tried it and could not get on with it, im not saying that its not any good but its just not for me . if you want to know if you would get on with a lock jack the only rerall way to find out is to buy one and give it a month or so . i had never even seen one set up let alone used when i bought my lock jack and friction saver

Lock Jack is my best friend when pruning and removal of trees. It works as well as you can imagine and then some. My first experience was a little tense because your past experience is with tying your friction hitches and now you are looking at simple caming mechanism and release handle.

I don't use a cambuim saver much at all and find my style of climbing prefers the added friction.

Before the Lock Jack I would have trouble figuring out how many wraps on my distel and alternating ropes(Blaze, Velocity and Fly) make it difficult to get your friction hitch set up just right also always watching for side loading biners. Lock Jack just simpley works well on any diameter based on the clutch plate. I have been climbing now for 6 month on the same clutch and find it creeps slight as it reach near horizontal.

I am sure if i had the Lock Jack 10 years ago my elbows and shoulders would be in a whole lot better shape. It will work for any one who is willing to give it the full go. My apprentices all wish for one after teaching them first rope on rope and then giving them the chance to try the lj.

The draw backs are it is difficult to slack off when you are climbing above your tie in but easily remedied by feeding line into the lj from the bottom and then pulling the handle

I think you will find your curiousity will be satisfied with a smooth and effecient system.

I used a distel endless loop tied with double fishermans and slack tending pulley the other day just to see what I had been missing and really the big difference is all the slack tending and pushing your friction hitch forward and the loosening and slackening of the friction hitch as well. Hope this helps.

Best of Luck

i was climbing on the spider jack for bout 6 months, then found if the rope wasnt feeding into it from underneath i,e going over a branch then down to u, was too much friction and slow me down. mainly doing massive jumps. as a pulley will pull the rope through more. as the SJ has the metal lever which creates too much friction.

it needs little revolvers on the metal lever then it would be awsome. can someone please make one;p and send it for me to trail.