Guess what Deano's doing

Dean Lofthouse

For the job you are trying to do, a wire fid is the best tool. Get a length of piano wire, twist a loop onto each end, and then fold it in half. Push the folded end into the cover where you want to pull the taper through to, and bring it out where it goes in. Snare the end of the taper and hook a carabiner through the two eyes on the fid, anchor it to something strong, and the give it a good yank to bury it.

Try not to snare any strands on the inside of the cover when you insert the fid. Every strand you break (they are about the thickness of a human hair) will make it harder to get the taper buried, and weaken the finished splice.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all here Stevie New England Ropes - Splicing Guide

Peter, does the tail not pull out of the wire loop as you are trying to rag it through. If you have a link or piccie or a drawing it would be cool :thumbup1:

I'm going to see Nod at the next show and buy a kit off him. He had a workshop up here last year I think which Bob went to, I wanted to go but ended up to my neck in work

If I get to master one type of rope splice I will try and stick to that climbing rope so I can spike my rope as much as I want and not care :001_smile:

No, it doesnt pull out. You trap it in the folded over bit, about 2-3 inches from the end of the taper.

The advantage to this method is that you can yank it pretty hard, and you can pull on the exposed core at the same time, which helps the tapered cover to slip through.

Haha, no mate, I think it was an extremely lucky first attempt :biggrin:

Haha well done mate!! I still get slight lumps now and again.

The next time i splice some 16 strand i'll take some pics of the fid and how it pulls through for you mate.

Its great being able to splice your ropes up when they've been nicked with the spikes or the silky:blushing:.

Its awesome when you can make your own ropeguides up too!!!:thumbup: