Guess what Deano's doing

Dean Lofthouse

Having a go at splicing :001_smile:

Dead easy so far the only problem I'm having is getting the outer core tail up past the inner core from the c to d mark, I'm thinking I might need a snare to grab and drag the tail through.

I think I will invest in a splicing kit, so far I've done everything without tools, prcticing on a bit New england 16 strand cos it's easy.

Where's the best place to buy splicing kits and whipping kits

Image0012.jpg.6419c1e28511ad4ce2c88438806e4f70.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A man of your talents could make a decent fid, just a bent piece of wire is good, I bought these selma ones Ropeloft rope splicing demos but a wire is just as good for some splices.:001_smile:

I went to my local yacht chandler this morning Tom and thats the identical kit they had for sale however they cut a piece of blaze that I had in the van and they said that the Selma kit was no good for the construction of the blaze:confused1:I take it they were wrong then ?

A man of your talents could make a decent fid, just a bent piece of wire is good, I bought these selma ones Ropeloft rope splicing demos but a wire is just as good for some splices.:001_smile:

I was after one of those Grabbers Tom, where they shove it in from the other end and grab the tail with a wire loop that tightens down and then rag it back through if you know what I mean.

I went to my local yacht chandler this morning Tom and thats the identical kit they had for sale however they cut a piece of blaze that I had in the van and they said that the Selma kit was no good for the construction of the blaze:confused1:I take it they were wrong then ?

they're probably right, when i did my tachyon they weren't much good, they are good for hollow braid like ice tail though. I found a heavy wire bent back on itself and nicely de-burred was the best thing for the double braid. But I'm no expert, ask jamie.:001_smile:

Well that was a right pain to do, just the last bit where core and tail are trying to go through the same space within the rope, absolute nightmare.

Eventually made a snare out of an old pinhole surgery tool (Mike Hill may recognise it) basically pass a wire up the hollow and bent it back on itself.

Without that tool I have no idea how I would have done it, it would have been extremely difficult.

I haven't done any whipping, if that eye comes out after that I'll eat my car, but I'm going to use this rope as a light lowerer or pulling rope to test it's strength

Image0021.jpg.328a07e3cfed356589b8eb04299eb04c.jpg

Image0020.jpg.e8daf56047a9dd10d3e3275f0b55c056.jpg

Image0019.jpg.5ce82f853f8d22ad8449821c729cc17b.jpg

Image0017.jpg.362ec226b68b86c86e30627cabd31c12.jpg

Looking good Dean:thumbup1:.

What your after mate is a splicing wand. To do the crossover though a fid works much better! Its made from piano wire. Needs to have no burrs what so ever though because its soooo easy to catch a strand.

The guy to speak to about buying this stuff is nod at treeworker.

Did you end up with a slight lump on the crossover when you'd finished?