110 300 tdi

Mr Ed

Possibly considering a 110 tdi as a second vehicle as I can forsee the interior and exterior of my Nissan is going to get totally trashed if I continue using it like the past few weeks. I need to be able to carry drums of diesel, grease guns, hydaulic oil and pipes, many tools, chainsaws, petrol etc etc.

The Patrol does all this, but with a full leather interior, its not ideal + staff wont look after it like I will. Also, getting in and out continuously whilst covered in mud and sawdust....

A 110 will tick my boxes, especially an ex utilities model with the roller shutter sides.

What I need to know is this - the last 300 I had was gutless. Is there much to be had in performance upgrades? and what about economy? what sort of MPG should I see?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

Depends on just how far you want to go, Jeremy fern, twisted performance and JE Engineering all offer pump tweaks for 300TDi's JE go one step further and offer a gas flowed head. My mates 300TDI has had the full JE treatment and an Alisport intercooler, He leaves me for dead! He can happily tow his 2tonne 26' caravan at 80mph, if it was legal of course.

Thing to bear in mind is the ex utility rovers are very heavy to start with , due to all the added extras.

Matt

on my 300tdi I have an alisport intercooler, uprated fuel pump, decent air filter (k&n), and mine smokes my old mans td5 disco (literally i cant see him in the cloud of smoke! :) )

but seriously its quick for a 130 and even given the black smoke on hard acceleration it passed its emmisions with flying colours. recon i get 25-27mpg normally down to about 19-20 on motorways, recon its cheaper to just sit behind the lorries at 60 rather than try and thrash along at 70+ as i have a truckman top that sticks up above the cab and a roof rack both of which are going to reduce the fuel as are the big BFG all terrains

but if its the vehicle you need, then not a lot else comes that close

A Land Rover with all the kit is never going to sip diesel.My hi-cap with Isuzu 3.9 Turbo,ZF hp22 autobox,Truckman top,and Mud Terrains will drop down to 12 to the gallon when in a hurry.

With current fuel prices I work on 40/pence to the mile.I find that arriving on site with everything that I need costs me less in the long-run.

If land rover had used the big jap.diesel over here rather than only in Aus.their reputation would not have sunk so low.imo

I run a '93 110 form the environment agency. 200 engine with mucho clicks on the clock, I have just started adding 25% plain cooking oil to the fuel, it smells odd but goes ok . The 200 is a far more rugged engine than the 300. Its old and basic and keeps on going. My discovery has the 300 engine which is snappier, you are well advised to get one that has the revised timing belt arrangement.