Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Very nice wolf man ... This tree had a great natural line to follow , some thing I was trying to explain in another thread.

I don't have a problem the hair cut reduction it benefits the tree so much better than a good old hat rack .. I need to dig out a pic of two limes both done at the same time , one hat racked by a colleague the other one imo properly reduced 25% , obviously the hat rack provided more light at the time but 6 years later it was atleast two meters taller and denser... Infact the reduced tree just required a thin and minor reconstruction, whilst the hat rack needed a proper reduction.... It also had some cavities unlike the other.

I go by the view if you hit a tree hard it will make up for what it's lost quickly and then a lot more to compensate for what it's put out and to get some more back!

Nice work on the Lime Tony, should come back nicely.

I was asked to reduce this large Plane recently to reduce weight and minimise risk of failure as it has a large cavity in the trunk.

What a pain it was!! Virtually all branches got hung up, and the dust was horrendous!

Sorry about the after pic - it was getting dark by the time we finished.

That my man was a very fine job done:thumbup1:

I don't have a problem the hair cut reduction it benefits the tree so much better than a good old hat rack .. I need to dig out a pic of two limes both done at the same time , one hat racked by a colleague the other one imo properly reduced 25% , obviously the hat rack provided more light at the time but 6 years later it was atleast two meters taller and denser... Infact the reduced tree just required a thin and minor reconstruction, whilst the hat rack needed a proper reduction.

I go by the view if you hit a tree hard it will make up for what it's lost quickly and then a lot more to compensate for what it's put out and to get some more back!

My thoughts exactly. IMO the vast majority of hat rack reductions are carried out by either improperly/untrained or lazy tree surgeons.

It takes a bit more effort and time to do a proper reduction but the end result is a more natural looking tree which will respond much better to the work. The biggest compliment is when a client says "you would not know that the tree has been worked on".

Your pictures of the Lime would be a great educational tool for clients that think harder reductions = more value for money.

Yeah theres a nice rot pocket full of water on the top cut but the wood is hard and not pulpy, according to the owner its a watering hole for the local birds.

Here is a Bay from the same job, its brittle and yellowing and the bracket is the second one thats cropped up in the last 5 years.

Ill be back in a couple of years to keep the birch in check unless the Bay gives up the ghost in the mean time.

59765fbd9b0fc_birch029.JPG.fc0016b9ef0fafc2c560f51984e1217a.JPG

59765fbd968f4_birch027.JPG.3905e69772bfe4652092a66f2c189a31.JPG

59765fbd91efe_birch021.JPG.ff994e7546f0d9b4941f29a3b83008df.JPG