Todays job 'Death of a Poplar'

John Hancock

I looked at one last month, a new estate built about 12 years ago.

As part of the planning conditions each house had to have a tree.

This one house rung me to ask about removal of this certain tree because it was getting a little big.

It was 12 ft from the bay window and looking up the road I could see Hornbeam, silver birch, maple, some little acer Brilliantisimum.

This particular tree was a Black Poplar, which is probably the same as the one you felled John if I'm not mistaken. Can you imagine that in front of your bay window in a 12ft x 14ft front lawn.

I know, its crazy! We have a newish estate in Worcester, built on shrinkable clay soil and the planting list seems to have been...Poplar, Oak, Willow and Hawthorn! Mad, just mad...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know, its crazy! We have a newish estate in Worcester, built on shrinkable clay soil and the planting list seems to have been...Poplar, Oak, Willow and Hawthorn! Mad, just mad...

Keeps use boys in a living though and fixes carbon and produces fire wood:icon14::wave:

Trees don't have to be there for ever, poplars grow quickly and fall apart. Plant them, preferably plant something else which can become established before you take out the poplars but there a cr@p tree when big. To mis-quote Mattheck:" Poplar is shitty tree, shitty wood, shitty design that propagates through failure" (or something like that)

Trees don't have to be there for ever, poplars grow quickly and fall apart. Plant them, preferably plant something else which can become established before you take out the poplars but there a cr@p tree when big. To mis-quote Mattheck:" Poplar is shitty tree, shitty wood, shitty design that propagates through failure" (or something like that)

:icon14::wave:

Yep, the quicker they grow, the faster they fall apart!

59765338632e0_DSC_0639(Medium).JPG.5e2be0ab96d39ea584b13a0293876213.JPG

I totally understand what your saying, Its a shame to see established trees removed. These Poplars were planted by the developers when the estate was built. (It is all to common for developers to plant trees with no regard for species or position.) I do however stand by my comment that this was the wrong species, planted too close to the property.

Crown reduction was considered but rejected because of the re-growth associated the Poplars. (The tree is in a green open space and in a exposed position)

We shall replace the Pop, probably with a nice fastigiate Oak. John.

John - I have been looking around new estates with dismay as to species / soil types e.t.c. and have come to the opinion that little thought goes into it! (If any??!!!)

bread and butter like leylandii one of them t22 highbrid pops reaches 70 ft in 30 years.. reduce and they still put on 2+metres a year ,pollard and jesus you got a real problem ...personsally i would fell them them if i was the tree officer for that area and replant with somthing....well that aint a pop high brid!