Skinny Beech Rigging

Rupe

Yep, like what John said, there is a fig 8 under the hitch, between them they share the work, and the hitch is the back up.

Would your hitch hold on a single line in the (unlikely) event of the fig 8 failing?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would your hitch hold on a single line in the (unlikely) event of the fig 8 failing?

That hitch would hold on that rope. I can't speak for every other combo. I certainly wouldn't come down on the hitch only as it would be very on/off and not a smooth descent at all, but with the 8 its fine.

Other than letting go of the rope below the 8, I can't see any way of it failing, and lettign go is not enough to cause any problems. I tested it before disconnecting my strop/lanyard.

Are you still using the helical?

I'm not at all sure my vt would hold in that scenario.

Well worth checking it out before relying on it though.

Sometimes use it. In this instance its a VT without braids, just 8 wraps round the rope and hope for the best!! Works ok but bites too hard, thats why I was confident in this application for descent.

I have just put a propert VT on my other rope for a change. Helical is still a favorite though, but it doesn't work with the hitch climber.

Mine fit in the pocket of my stretchairs. Sometimes its the one I left the house with in the morning and sometimes its fresh one. Will stop when the clocks go forward!! Water from then on I'm promising myself!!