Mail order restrictions by Stihl?

Jon Lad

tell your local the best price you can (cant) get it at and see if they can match it.

:001_smile:

Ha Ha

try that at my local dealer & you get told

I dont need to sell them any cheaper, as I am the only dealer for miles.

I drove out of area & saved £70.

Even if I lost the income for the travel time I would still have been better off. As it was I did it whilst taking the OH to the next town. Double bonus. Cheaper saw & brownie points.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one dealer would dominate the market. They would be in the same boat as the rest of us and have to compete for customers. The products they sold would be priced by the free market not fixed between themselves.

Sure, yes, but to survive the price would come down, and this devalues the pruduct and the brand as a whole. Stihl are protecting that, as market leaders its an important thing to protect.

Stihl just want to protect their brand image i.e keep prices inflated , and stop a price war by companies companies driving down the cost. The whole hand over thing is complete guff, besides I find many companies selling stihl 'hand over products' have limited knowledge on what their supplying so whats the point.

What we need is asda to come in and do the same what they did for levis jeans :lol:

I need some new pole hedge trimmers and found them at a good price online from this dealer in Devon. I rang up to place an order, the lad asked me where I was calling from. I told him and he said that Stihl had told them that they weren't to sell their products and post them out to customers. That you were to go on to the Stihl website, find what you want and look up the location of your local dealer and go and buy it from them.

I was really amazed by this, and couldn't quite believe what I was hearing. He said they could send out any other manufacturers products but not Stihl.

I am interested if anyone else has had experience of this.

thats interesting , down here we have two dealers , one dealer passes their discount on to the customer and the other does not . if i were to move away i would keep using the dealer that is passing me on a decent discount from down here . personally i feel this is simply still trying to flex their muscles as they are one of the two main industry leaders .:thumbdown:

Sure, yes, but to survive the price would come down, and this devalues the pruduct and the brand as a whole. Stihl are protecting that, as market leaders its an important thing to protect.

The price would come down because they would have to shave their mark up!

The annoying thing is that over the last few years the quality of the components seems to have come down, such as not using Tillotson carbs anymore, but the prices have gone up. I don't mind paying for kit if what I'm paying is worth it. Take those new 4 stroke engines in their hedgers, if those engines last a year they'll be doing well. Trying to tune them to tick over takes forever. The sooner they get this 2 stroke oil job sorted, like they're trying to do with motorbikes at the moment, the better. They'll be able to go back to 2 stroke engines again.

When i wanted to buy a new 200t last year, i found the best price on the internet (£426 inc) and went to my local dealer with that price - after a bit of haggling, they took it down from £480 to £435 which was a very good deal.

To them, a sale with hardly any profit is better than no sale.

thats interesting , down here we have two dealers , one dealer passes their discount on to the customer and the other does not . if i were to move away i would keep using the dealer that is passing me on a decent discount from down here . personally i feel this is simply still trying to flex their muscles as they are one of the two main industry leaders .:thumbdown:

You might find that one dealer is buying off the other anyway, so cannot match them on prices.

What you need is a 5 star dealer, that distributes to the other dealers around. These are the ones that do the best discount. In the south west I believe its George carrs and sons in bristol. All other retailers around me buy from them and not directly from stihl.

With the exception of lister wilder in cirencester who as a company buy enough products to get them directly form stihl.

Same with Honey brothers etc.