Difference between stihl ms 261 cm and stihl ms 261 nonmtronic

Ivan11

Hello! Only stihl ms 261 nonmtronic is supported in Bulgaria. I have bought stihl ms 261 cm from the UK

I want to ask how many different parts do stihl ms 261 cm and 261 nonmtronic have. I want to know this because I want to take my ms 261 cm to Bulgaria and if it brakes down I might not be able to find spare parts for stihl ms 261 cm in Bulgaria. That is why I want to buy spare parts from the UK

Thank you very much!

I just want to ask what different parts do Stihl ms 261 nonmtronic and 261 cm have. I think that many of the parts of both versions are the same and can be found in Bulgaria because 261 nonmtronic is supported there.

I would like to know about the different ones that might not be available in Bulgaria. For instance, the carburettors are different.

I think all the 261s here are m-tronic for several years, so it's not an easy comparison for us either. The IPL would give you a definite answer, maybe somewhere on the internet you could find one or maybe you need to be a Stihl dealer. I think it's just coil, carb, on-off switch, maybe flywheel though.

All the usual bar, sprocket, chain brake, oil pump, clutch etc you're likely to need will be the same.

Personally I'd just go to the local Stihl guy, it's a chainsaw not a F1 car.

All parts are easily ordered across the whole of Europe, so don't worry but you can always Google it and see if it's within a £5-10 as that's what's shipping will cost if you did order from the UK.

Just because it's Bulgaria don't think they're backwards, I've a friend in Hungary whilst they are low paid they are miles ahead.

• Like 1

The different parts will everything from the starter coil, ignition module, wiring, to the carb. Some of the run/off/choke mechanism will be different too. 

To do a proper comparison you’d need to compare part numbers. 

As suggested above I would suggest you dont worry too much. I have an mtronic 261 and I wouldnt take it back to non mtronic now.  Firstly the above list of parts would be too expensive but secondly because the newer stihl mtronic systems are good even though I dont fully understand them yet.

Can I add to the above.....the crankcase is different. Certainly the half (if not both) that is the clutch side as the later clutch/chain covers are NOT interchangeable due to differences with the casing castings. Overall, there really isn't much too similar between pre-mtronic and mtronic models

• Like 2