Chipper might be stolen

Mont16

Hello all I’ve just brought my first chipper went to get it serviced and the mechanic recons that I might be stolen. As the plate number and chassis number where different. brought it on eBay from a guy who seemed decent enough told me that as it’s quite an old chipper they replaced the chassis as it was rusted hence the difference in numbers. Don’t really know what to do as want to do the right thing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated 

1 hour ago, Mont16 said:

told me that as it’s quite an old chipper they replaced the chassis as it was rusted hence the difference in numbers

That's plausible.  Does it look like the chassis has been replaced?

I suppose it must've been. Can't think of any other reason the numbers don't match. 

There's lots of motorbikes out there with engines not matching the frames. It devalues them, but doesn't mean they're all stolen. I'd just take the seller for his word, unless some other information comes to light

As you have already bought it you may as well just take the sellers word for it.

I once bought an Ifor Williams that I later suspected may have been stolen, deeply regretted being so naive as I would never buy anything I believed to be stolen. I think karma must have got me as by time I had fixed everything a brand new trailer would have been cheaper.

It sounds like you bought it in good faith so leave it at that and carry on. It is people that knowingly buy stolen stuff that are the scummy ones, they are as bad as or maybe even worse than the ones doing the stealing.

13 hours ago, Mont16 said:

Forst st6 

I seem to remember early st6 had an axle problem ,They were bending apparently . Could have been replaced for this reason .