How do they get away with it

johnty

The industry is full of amateurs and cowboys. Too often I see a wally wearing a track suit up a ladder with a b&q chainsaw. The kind of person who looks to make a quick buck and will no doubt be flytipping all the arisings into the closest alley. Even if they get caught out they will just start trading under a new name. Its a hard problem to stop.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a guy who set up ages ago, stopped now though. He couldn't climb to save his life, no tickets etc but had watched a few climbers, me and a few others and helped us out here and there.

He was a woodcutter so good with a saw but that was all.

Anyway, some lady asked him to take a broken branch out of top of cedar. Massive tree. He ummed and arrd and said it would be really difficult to get up there! £400 quid!

Yes please she says! It took him all day to branch roll up this tree and get the one limb down which smashed the garden to bits!

She paid him £450 cos of the immense effort and bravery! And then she paid a gardiner to clear up and put the lawn right etc.

I know the tree. Throwline/footlock/ lowering line/capstan/ 2men 2hrs tops including a cuppa, no damage and all removed £250... she would have gone mental at £250 for 2 hrs work!!! But if she had known it was worth gettign another quote she would have done.

So what I mean is....people still think this is a really dangerous job for unhinged folk who don't care about HSE. ANd they will pay cos they don't know there is an alternative.

Everything we do to be proffessional is actually making the job look less expensive not more! Its only the few customers that have the nouse to get someone trustworthy in, and that "nouse" is usually learned from past experience.

Thats why I think its important to educate customers. Showing them a copy of insurance certificate and qualifications never hurts at the quote stage.

They are often fascinated to see things done 'properly', even fairly basic stuff.

When they realise the amount of gear we use, and how much it costs, they often comment how reasonable the price was even if they had doubts initially, and recommend us to friends etc.

Anyone noticed how the cowboys never do a decent tidy up?

I mean, how tough is it to use a rake properly?

Anyway, the view is better from the moral high ground!

Playing devils advocate a bit here.

But I have an objection to the linking of spending lots of money directly to profesionalism.

If you buy into masses of gear, insurances, and what not then isn't there an element of choice in that? I run on the cheap, I really don't need a lot, but I can do decent tree work.

I'm not a cowboy, but I don't throw as much money at it as a lot of you lot seem to do.

My point being not to criticise the way others run their business, but to introduce the element of choice point that I'm trying to make.

I dont think you need to throw loads of money about to be professional, thats down to your attitude, the way you do the job, the way you deal with clients. Big kit doesnt make you a pro, but those who have built up a reputable business over the years tend to have the best kit to carry out the job in a professional manner

Fair enough Andy and Rupe. I Just wanted to make that point.

It gets into all the variables there are in your overheads.

I don't undercut the opposition to win jobs as the going rate for proper tree surgeons round my way isn't great anyway and I wouldn't do it for less than they do. I probably make more profit as % turnover than some of them, but my day might be harder due to less gear etc. They however, have to do more jobs than me because of higher overheads.

This is all the proper tree surgeons.

I don't worry about the cowboys, If theyr'e that desperate to make a living, then good luck to them is my view, as much as I hate seeing all the butchered trees......... Some done by the way by tree surgeons with signed up vans, loads of gear, TW150 in tow etc.

I'm going in circles now so will stop there:001_smile:

Thats why I think its important to educate customers. Showing them a copy of insurance certificate and qualifications never hurts at the quote stage.

i always put a copy of my EL insurance and PL insurance in with my quotes, also a guide to good tree care from the national park authority and a choosing your arborist leaflet also from the national park authority but written by the HSE with help from the ISA AA NPTC etc etc

:congrats::deal:

i always put a copy of my EL insurance and PL insurance in with my quotes, also a guide to good tree care from the national park authority and a choosing your arborist leaflet also from the national park authority but written by the HSE with help from the ISA AA NPTC etc etc

John has got his head screwed on, and reckon he wins a lot of his quotes?

It's important to continue the process of customer education, every little helps - drip feed.

Insurance details,

professional qualifications,

Trade Associations,

existing client base listing.

We use it all. If you have, have paid and are proud of it, there's no point in keeping it a secret.

Plus it often makes the customer ask embarrassing questions of the other people who have quoted. Customers normally don't know what they should be asking, so this gives them something to think about. Especially commercial clients who have legal responsiblities.

Its not about making the other contractors look bad, it's about making your company look better!