Iveco LPG

Ty Korrigan

9 minutes ago, Stere said:

No good if all the LRG gas stations are gradually closed down  esp 5yrs time etc.

Yes, for the second  time around in UK the number of stations has dwindled, I had a V8 LR110 which I converted and ran from about 1998 till I stopped contracting in 2009, I could drive home from 3 directions and pass a filling station, all three are gone and I wouldn't know where to fill up now.

It worked well for me as the cost of the vehicle and conversion was about half what a lr 110 tdi of the same age (1990) would have cost and it had a fraction of the miles (actually km) on the odometer. It did 14mpg on LPG ( I meant to fit high compression pistons which would have increased this efficiency but never got around tuit) and 19 on petrol whereas the tdi would have done 25mpg. The kicker was that the diesel needed an oil change every 6k miles but the on lpg the lube only needed changing at 20k and even then the oil was still golden.

I seldom worked more than 20 miles from home so didn't clock up many miles, 80k IIRC, but as the range on lpg was only 150 miles it needed a couple of fill ups a week.

We had a 170hp volvo 5 cylinder in the family, it ran about 500.000kms on retrofitted lpg and it was 25 years when the rust killed it from underneath. 

It ran fine till it's last day. No serious issues apart from a sensor, a connector, a fuel line and a new tank once or twice. 

With 10k miles a year a hardly see a need for lpg but if the price is right I would give it a try, you can always sell again. 

Surprised to see an iveco with lpg, always thought they had cng only. 

My only experience with LPG was when the Director insisted on buying an LPG Ford Transit van, brand new, it basically never ran on LPG, cos it wouldnt, and Ford failed to fix it, so it simply ran on petrol. Back then a diesel would have been much better, both mechanically and economically. Though at that time we had a filling station within less than a mile selling LPG at 44p/l.

3 hours ago, marne said:

If it's CNG I would not take it, except you have a specialized garage and a CNG station on hand. Too rare. 

I suppose it's mostly council depots that have the facility to compress the gas into the tank? I wonder how many litres of compressed natural gas you would need for a litre of petrol (about 8kWh)