Best small chainsaw for UK?

Niftyprose

To me the best saw for the job would be battery (Husqy 540i xp) but the cost of the saw, a couple of bli300 batteries, and charger, will give the op a heart attack. But he did ask for the best saw...?

Aside from that, a really good hand saw might suffice? You can carry it in and out on your belt with the logs, rather than having to leave a chainsaw lying about, I don't know if there's any theft risk in the location.

• Like 3

Nah best would be a  rear handle ms201 or the ms241 imo.

And a mini 3+1.5 combi can & a frame pack if no acess for a wheelbarrow for carrying out  logs. Can  path not be created?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/677001-Stubai-Lastentrage/dp/B00BL9SD3A

Battery saws are heavier than petrol to do the same work....

Edited by Stere

The weight is much and such the same, there's different battery options (including backpack or belt), but it's worth it for the fresh air, low noise, and no pull start :bandit:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scbk said:

To me the best saw for the job would be battery (Husqy 540i xp) but the cost of the saw, a couple of bli300 batteries, and charger, will give the op a heart attack. But he did ask for the best saw...?

Aside from that, a really good hand saw might suffice? You can carry it in and out on your belt with the logs, rather than having to leave a chainsaw lying about, I don't know if there's any theft risk in the location.

Not a bad idea. There was a guy at the APF a few years ago with a stand demoing old cross cut saws and how to set and sharpen them. On a 5" or 6" log he was only taking a few seconds more than a chainsaw. It was damn impressive. I had a go, it felt as good or maybe better than a big Silky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stere said:

But  2 bats wont last longer than a a hr at most croscutting logs?

For what the OP was talking about, cutting thin stuff into manageable lengths, 1 battery would last a whole day

Hmm maybe

A 3l fuel can will defo last a day (its about 6 tanks used on a makita ea4300 as fuel tank is 480ml ) esp  if also you spend half the time carrying out stuff but not so sure on batteries,  but ive never tried the husky battery saws only the  makita cordless  one.

A like the  battery saws for small garden jobs hegdes  etc its ideal.  I have 8 batteries with it which is the same total juice as 2 300BLi. 

Bur they wouldn't last as long doing what the 3l of fuel does.

The mass-based energy density of batteries is in the range of 0.1 to 0.27 kWh/kg. In comparison, gasoline is 13 kWh/kg

OP maybe should cut everything then hire a mini tracked barrow for a day if there is acess....

I do similar to the OP - home logging only, but a good bit of it, 8m3 per year maybe.

I have a petrol Makita EA3500, a mains 240V Titan and a battery Ferrex (Aldi) saw. They each have their place, both the elec saws are good at cutting at home. The Ferrex is surprisingly competent for a cheapy (I think it was about £100 with battery and charger) and I often pick it up for a quick prune, or logging up to 6" maybe. It's not super quick, but it will get there, and it's quiet, pretty reliable. It does leak chain oil sometimes. Get spare batteries.

Mains Titan is more powerful, cheap, and also pretty quick and easy, but obviously you need a very long extension lead to get it to the woods! The chain oiler can clog up a bit if left too long - clear mine out with isopropyl alcohol.

Makita is more powerful still, and I run it on fuel with stabiliser added, so I can leave 2 stroke in the tank for a year or more. (Never left it this long, but it seems to work - pick it up after a couple of months, start it on 2nd pull or so).

If I could just have one saw it would be the Makita I suppose as it can cope with everything I need everywhere I might need it - but it's nice to have the battery option, and the mains too occasionally. Simple answer is always more saws!

Edited by sandspider