Cleaning Bluetooth Earbuds

Doug Tait

I dropped my phone out of a tree, landed end on into soft mud which filled the tiny mic hole.

I did see videos of people using hot melt glue, didn't fancy that so used a sewing needle to poke the mud out - whether it was that or the mud I don't know but either way I now have a new phone as no-one could hear me afterwards.

So I'd be cautious about poking anything in the holes.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update I've tried all the suggestions, well all except @topchippyles idea which didn't go too well for me.

image.png.ecdd289ab2a8f6412f895cb6e0974121.png

Seriously though, I've tried heating them with a hair dryer, and tried sticky tape with no luck. And the wax from strips won't go in through the protective mesh cover, the airline gave a tiny improvement but nearly blew out the protective mesh, and I'm convinced the mesh will prevent the hot glue from working.

I'm at a loss now and can only listen to podcasts because music in mono is pants.

Any brainwave appreciated.

• Haha 1

It was surprisingly tricky to find a suggestion as to what temperature ear wax melts, but here is an answer. You say you've tried a hair drier, but I think you get better results in a 55⁰c oven, positioned holes-down, obviously. 

You might also get good results using either cheap olive oil or bog standard sunflower oil, warmed gently, to help loosen the deposits. Depending on where the technology is in the earbud, you might even get away with a shallow bath of the warmed oil, in a low oven.

in culinary terms, we would call this technique confit.

Screenshot_20240626_145854_Ecosia.thumb.jpg.9cf0814998f154dc1b6841388838dbb0.jpg

• Thanks 1

I use these for the tube on my hearing aid: 

WWW.HEARINGAIDACCESSORIES.CO.UK

Universal cleaning wire sticks for hearing aid thin tubes. Help keep your tubes free from dust or dirt at home or on the go. Includes: x25 Cleaning Wire Sticks

Don't know if that's any use. 

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just to update this, @peds suggestion has been the most successful.

I need to do it regularly but it gives a huge improvement and hasn't been detrimental to the earbuds in any way.

I put them in the oven, propped up in the corners of a baking tray (so they can drain out) for about an hour at 70c, (tried 60c to begin with but wasn't effective). And change the tin foil on the tray after!

Haven't felt the need to risk a 'confit' at this point, but thanks for the help chef.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1