Head lice

peds

2 hours ago, peds said:

That's why it's such a pain in the hole, every time they get treated it's all bedding, all teddies, all people... but they'll still bring them home again a month later, they just swap them around at school. 

There really needs to be an announced date for every child in the school to have treatment, all on the same date, and then you might get a few more months of freedom before they find a different population at afterschool sports or a camp or whatever, but no parent wants to step up and start the conversation... because obviously, he who smelled it dealt it.

Might see if my neighbour can dunk my two the next time he dips his flock, anyway.

The problem is the whole school needs treating at the same time . Its no good you sorting yours if they then go back to school and sit next to one that is crawling with them . They love clean hair by the way . When I was a nipper we had Nora the nit lady came to school now and then . Lots of kids running around with blue heads . Don't see that now.

• Like 1

Nitty Nora the hair explorer. :D I guess cut backs have stopped that preemptive solution in its tracks.

I thought the treatment killed the eggs and live lice! I've had to use it once on one of our kids but it was more because of an outbreak in the class rather than him being infected. 

Hi peds

I feel your pain, man. As a dad of three girls with long hair, nits are a flipping nightmare. And expensive to treat, too. We tried the over the counter shampoo and then chucked loads of conditioner onto their hair to make combing the lice out easier, but it still caused many tears and tantrums. In the end we just gave the girls pixie haircuts and told them to keep their heads away from the nitbags they were sat next to. 

The annoying thing, as mentioned previously, that treating your own kids is near pointless unless the whole class gets treated. That really grinds my gears. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mesterh said:

I thought the treatment killed the eggs and live lice!

It doesn't these days, and that's why I'm wondering if they've changed the recipe. Because washing your hair in fairy liquid kills the lice, and doesn't cost €15 per bottle.

• Thanks 1

School used to have a nit nurse who did all the infected kids in one go with a special comb & some foul smelling stuff

Solution using no chems just shave there hair off? 😉

2 hours ago, peds said:

It doesn't these days, and that's why I'm wondering if they've changed the recipe. Because washing your hair in fairy liquid kills the lice, and doesn't cost €15 per bottle.

Thats good to know, we have some head lice shampoo knocking about just in case but its handy to know hairy lip squid is just as good,