Head lice

peds

Maybe some of the more distinguished among ye might be able to offer a perspective.

Being a smelly hippy, I'm completely opposed to the use of any kind of poison unless it benefits me directly, so naturally I have no problem with blasting the children with whatever is recommended at the chemist to remove the occasional population of lice they bring home from school. But honestly, none of the products we've tried seem to do a thing, they kill the creature themselves but any eggs remain viable, and have to be combed out manually. Which really isn't any different to using Fairy Liquid, which will also kill the beastie, but is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Here's the question for you ancient ones... did they change the recipe at some point in the last few decades? Back in the good old days when men were men and transsexuals hadn't been invented yet, was there something else available to eradicate any unwanted lifeforms from your child's scalp?  Is this another thing that us smelly hippies have ruined for everyone? 

To be honest, the only reference I'm going on is reading old Beano comics from the 70s, in which the treatment of head lice seemed to be a much more chemicals-and-PPE-laden experience. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they've always been treated with patchouli and ylang-ylang and hoodoo.

I'm going to start rubbing diatomaceous earth into their hair like I do with the chickens, that should sort them out...

Other than prescription stuff, you need a shampoo that removes oils like the anti dandruff stuff.

Try something like T gel, coal tar based so it should dehydrate/suffocate them, but it's a war not a battle. Plus that applies to everyone in the home, bedding, carpets etc etc.

Not sure if sheep clik is okay for humans 🙂

Edited by GarethM

59 minutes ago, peds said:

Being a smelly hippy, I'm completely opposed to the use of any kind of poison unless it benefits me directly, so naturally I have no problem with blasting the children with whatever is recommended at the chemist to remove the occasional population of lice they bring home from school.

WWW.URBANDICTIONARY.COM

A fake hippy who complains about every polluting object known to man but uses the same products that...

52 minutes ago, GarethM said:

but it's a war not a battle. Plus that applies to everyone in the home, bedding, carpets etc etc.

That's why it's such a pain in the hole, every time they get treated it's all bedding, all teddies, all people... but they'll still bring them home again a month later, they just swap them around at school. 

There really needs to be an announced date for every child in the school to have treatment, all on the same date, and then you might get a few more months of freedom before they find a different population at afterschool sports or a camp or whatever, but no parent wants to step up and start the conversation... because obviously, he who smelled it dealt it.

Might see if my neighbour can dunk my two the next time he dips his flock, anyway.

27 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Recant your hippy ways and Christan yourself in the nearest watercourse with carbolic soap to wash away your heathen ways!.

I used to like that stuff, it stank like it was doing something good even if it wasn't

Edited by openspaceman
typo

1 minute ago, scbk said:

I think the current carbolic soap is more "carbolic flavour", not like the old stuff

Damn it, what airy fairy world are we living in!.

I thought prisons still used it, or is that now human rights and soft skin ?.