Installation of habitat in trees

Hi all, a recent survey we're work to has instructed us to "remove an upper central leader to 1m below the hollow" and then to "install the hollow section in a nearby tree for habitat" All perfectly fine, but, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the best method of attaching the section to a healthy tree? It's from a Hybrid Black Poplar, section to remove is around 600mm diameter, there are several other large trees in the area, location is grounds of a school with regular footfall beneath.

• Like 1

Does it have to be above an area with regular footfall? Depending on what habitat it's intended to be, the future residents would probably appreciate a bit of distance from any hubbub. 

Obviously if it's for a school then observation is part of the appeal, but the health and happiness of the inhabitants should be the primary consideration.

Excellent idea regardless, and I'd love to see photos of the finished setup.

• Like 3

I didn't carry out the aerial inspection, though the person who did is a Chartered Arboriculturist & Registered Consultant. PhD., Cert. Arb (RFS), Prof. Dip. Arb (RFS), M ArborA., RC ArborA, MICFor so I'm happy to work to his specification without questioning it. My guess to answer your question would be the ikelihood of the hollow retaining water and causing additional problems down the line.

• Like 1

I think you need some wrought iron bands fashioned by the local blacksmith.

More seriously, can it be wedged and pegged with oak or something slow decaying? Seems like you want to avoid plastic attachments really, as plastic pollution in future years undermines the whole idea of being good for wildlife.

• Like 1

If it is to be a medium-term fixture, then attaching it by ratchet strap or lashing won't do, you will need to support its weight properly in a  way that doesn't fail if the piece decays and reduces in diameter. I suggest thinking about 1. supporting its weight from above and 2. attaching it to the stem to prevent movement as two separate things.

A cross bucket knot

with a spare length of rope will support it from above, hanging from a suitable fork.. Then you can lash it to the stem with ratchet strap or a second bit of rope using any of a number of girth hitches.

If you plan it carfully you can tie the bucket knot with the reef knot in one of the 'handles' so that it can be untied and retied around the fork when you hoist the piece into the tree.

Am I understanding this right or not? Your removing a hollow section of a stem from one tree and fixing it to a tree near by as habitat🤔.  Why! It’s better left where it is surely? It’s perfectly formed and fixed? Just reduce the weight to make it safe and revisit in couple of years!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Am I understanding this right or not? Your removing a hollow section of a stem from one tree and fixing it to a tree near by as habitat🤔.  Why! It’s better left where it is surely? It’s perfectly formed and fixed? Just reduce the weight to make it safe and revisit in couple of years!

The consultant has specified what is to be done. No need to know why.