Is my chipper blunt?

Ok, so the blades are a bit blunt, and maybe a few adjustments are required, but don’t loose sight of the real news story here, namely, the thing seems to have run a whole day without breaking down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bolt said:

Ok, so the blades are a bit blunt, and maybe a few adjustments are required, but don’t loose sight of the real news story here, namely, the thing seems to have run a whole day without breaking down.

I hope it's not you that writes the warranty page in the manual!.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

image.jpeg.603d04deac6172b03c408e552c1e4159.jpeg

That edge should be sharp, it’s totally blunt. 
How clean was the material you were chipping? Any soil contamination at all?

image.jpeg

The stuff I was chipping was clean and fresh cut, no soil contamination.

I blocked the spout by allowing material to build up. I was chipping into bulk bags held up by my loader tractor. When I opened it to clear the spout there was a load of wire around the flywheel bearing. Not from me because there was no wire where I was, they were my trees in my field. Probably the joys of having a hire machine abused by others.

Oh, the spout was only just blocked, quick poke with a stick and it was clear. Took longer to undo the bolts than clear it.

Chip was going to be used as mulch but probably more useful as kindling!

14 minutes ago, dumper said:

I feel a refund coming on

Absolutely agree. It takes a bit to make me dig my feet in in situations like this, in this situation I would argue my case all the way. The hire company cannot defend their lack of actions, ie blades utterly blunt and the all important setting of gap between flywheel blade and anvil has been completely neglected.

• Like 1

Obviously take plenty more pictures, if I were forst I certainly wouldn't be happy with people renting a machine in that garbage condition.

It's hardly an advert for encouraging sales, whilst I know they take a beating on a hire fleet. It's should atleast go out the door with a bit of bite and not have wire wrapped around the drive shaft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peasgood said:

They went through ok to start with but seemed to struggle by the end of the day. Have to admit I was struggling by then too. 
I got the rootstocks cut down and chipped yesterday which was what was needed but I had more stuff lined up for today but couldn’t be arsed with another day with it not working right. IMG_5611.thumb.jpeg.a407f30d5d2230621bf273899171221f.jpeg

IMG_5614.thumb.jpeg.118d49e550242fac42d9c5dd4296fdf8.jpeg

IMG_5615.thumb.jpeg.63da7a7b649502b44af504b4ebb6cfec.jpeg

Blunt? Not evan close, you could ride bare arse to London on that and not cut yourself!

• Haha 2

I should probably add that it cost £240 + VAT delivered and was delivered within an hour of me calling.

It is a pity it was in such crap condition as I could have got loads more done but at the end of the day I did do what I wanted. Biggest downside is the chip is crap and not really any use to me, decent chip would have been.

The rootstocks were in a rented field and they needed clearing, it is a weight off my mind that it got done.