10" Panther bars

What are peoples thoughts about Panther bars?

I have gone through 4 now on my Echo 2511.

The end continuously splits over time.

When the chain gets warm (and goes slightly loose) I don't tension it as when it cools it'll split the bar.

Are they really that good-er-bar to which pple rave about??

Edited by Gavin Howell

I rate it highly. Before I converted my 2511T to Panther I manage to bend the original bar more easily than I would expect. No problems since I changed over in Sept 2023. I carry a spare bar on the van. I have found it greatly improves the saw's performance. I find it very difficult to get a good result sharpening the really small chains, so I just fit a new one and recycle the old metal.

I've got one on my small Makita battery saw and that's lasted a few chains, but it runs fairly loose and never as much power as the 2511. 

Stihl bar is supposed to be the one to use, with 57 link chain that fits a MSA161. Have bought one, not tried yet.

I'm not a fan. I generally like and buy from Rob and co wherever I can as their website and range is second to none. Those bars however are not up to task and unfortunately they've stopped stocking the stihl bars.

For the 2511 you can buy a stihl 10" bar, and the 57 (make sure the drive link count is correct as the more popular 56dl won't fit) over the counter at most stihl dealers

If you go down the stihl route as said specify the 57 link chain. You can get a roller nose bar at 10" which uses the same sugihara chain that comes as standard on the 2511. Stihl chain doesn't seem to run on it though 

10 hours ago, gand said:

If you go down the stihl route as said specify the 57 link chain. You can get a roller nose bar at 10" which uses the same sugihara chain that comes as standard on the 2511. Stihl chain doesn't seem to run on it though 

Yeah the drive links on the stihl chain don't mesh with the nose sprocket on the sugi bar

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Yeah the drive links on the stihl chain don't mesh with the nose sprocket on the sugi bar

Is that because it's 7 tooth on the drive but you need a 6 instead ?.

Or is the nose setup for a different chain sizin

Edited by GarethM

On 08/05/2024 at 01:23, Gavin Howell said:

What are peoples thoughts about Panther bars?

I have gone through 4 now on my Echo 2511.

The end continuously splits over time.

When the chain gets warm (and goes slightly loose) I don't tension it as when it cools it'll split the bar.

Are they really that good-er-bar to which pple rave about??

We had to move to a new manufacturer for the Panther Mini and sadly the quality became inconsistent - we've now got Tsumura making these for us and the first batch should be ready in around 10 weeks or so.

The principle of the bars is great ie - you can run 1/4 .043 mini chains on pretty much any small chainsaw. But that's no use if the actual product does not last... we'll be doing a good deal on remaining bars to clear them.

On 08/05/2024 at 20:58, Joe Newton said:

I'm not a fan. I generally like and buy from Rob and co wherever I can as their website and range is second to none. Those bars however are not up to task and unfortunately they've stopped stocking the stihl bars.

For the 2511 you can buy a stihl 10" bar, and the 57 (make sure the drive link count is correct as the more popular 56dl won't fit) over the counter at most stihl dealers

Yep agreed they need to be better - we still do the Stihl bars though - I prob need to put kits up on the website to make it easier to buy for the Echo 2511 - you can run the 10"/12"/14" Stihl 1/4 .043 bars and as you said add an extra drive link and this allows it to fit to the Echo 2511 and oil correctly.

On 09/05/2024 at 10:11, GarethM said:

Is that because it's 7 tooth on the drive but you need a 6 instead ?.

Or is the nose setup for a different chain sizin

The Stihl 3670-71PM3 Mini and the Panther 1/4-043 Mini chains seem to lift as they go round the nose - so on the Sugi bars you have to use the Sugi chains which is not ideal.

Why is this? For no good reason I could find out as it doesn't make sense to have bars that only run one option of chain as it means that people can't run what they want to run... also the Sugi drive links differenciate from Stihl so Stihl is      56/10"     64/12"    72/14"   which is great as even number of left and right cutters.

Sugi is        60/10"      68"/12"     76/14"

And a last downside is - Sugi only make the 1/4 .043 bars in the Echo mount. Other than that they are a better bar than the Panther Mini bars currently are.

But no 10" in stock for a few months at least