Online GCSE - any suggested providers?

Squaredy

Just now, peds said:

Latin was available at my secondary when I was young, just a run of the mill local school for local people. 

Podex perfectus es and caput tuum in ano es are the only phrases I remember. Might be spelled wrong.

And when was that ?.

Most teachers under 60 will not have studied Latin.

33 minutes ago, GarethM said:

And when was that ?.

Most teachers under 60 will not have studied Latin.

I was at school in the 90s. 

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

2 minutes ago, peds said:

I was at school in the 90s. 

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Are you intentionally thick or just a well practiced act?.

If you were in school in the 90s you are 50s, of which all your teachers would have retired 25 years ago. (That's 30years ago+average age of teacher 40+)

I'll put it simply, why don't you see if you're local school does it as the only ones are generally private grammar.

A few years back I bumped into my old Latin teacher from 1977 ish.

We had a chat in a cafe about stuff, he was nearing retirement, he said he had lots of students enrolling for Latin classes.

Without dating Mick's conversation, must've been 2000 as his teacher would be in his 90s now.

The point I was making was we need the full list of GCSEs being taken as 4 including two compulsory is a bit low.

4 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Without dating Mick's conversation, must've been 2000 as his teacher would be in his 90s now.

The point I was making was we need the full list of GCSEs being taken as 4 including two compulsory is a bit low.

No it was about 7 years ago.

He had just qualified, we were his first job in 77.

Anyway, I’m digressing from the point of the thread.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Going back to the beginning, I might be wrong but the option is history OR Computer Science / Latin, not take 4 GCSEs in total. The Boy likes all 3 of them.

Remembering back to how it worked when I was at School the subjects were in blocks, A, B, C, D.. ..or whatever and you could pick 1 from each block. Not every subject was in every block, I suspect the same applies here.... so History is in the same block as Latin / Computer Science, cannot take all 3 together. So how to do a history course outside of School.

Latin: which other languages you learn at school are not so important, French at 16 years old is fine but might be at 50 you work in Spain - however the ability to apply what learnt then is more important and help you learn in future life. Latin shares a lot of stuff with European languages, word structure, common words etc (Romans did that for us), so I would say probably as useful as any other language,

Edited by Steven P

19 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No it was about 7 years ago.

He had just qualified, we were his first job in 77.

Anyway, I’m digressing from the point of the thread.

I think latin is used by doctors in some capacity.