MS500i main bearing failure

monkeybusiness

6 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

It’ll go on a shelf and be used for spare parts if I do bother with another one. I’m pretty disappointed in it tbh, not sure I’m in a rush to buy another. 

My 460 has just exploded so I am looking for a similar sized saw to fix up. I’ll buy yours in a flash!

2 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

My 460 has just exploded so I am looking for a similar sized saw to fix up. I’ll buy yours in a flash!

I'll bet you 50p you can't get the parts or get the 500 apart without breaking it.

Edited by Botty Cough

On 27/03/2024 at 11:16, monkeybusiness said:

Our MS500i has a load of play on the clutch side - the main bearing is basically goosed. Before I buy another has anyone else had this issue or have we just been unlucky?

I’ll get something else if these are made of the same cheese as the MS261…

Think we've had one for a main bearing failure, maybe two. Most of them come in for the clutch, I personally think it should be bigger. Maybe from the 661. Had some of them come in where it had blown through the drum (clutch) and knackered the crankcase. The bearing in question is about £14. So not much if you can do it yourself. Just need to make the shaft isn't worn

Edited by gand
  • Like 3

I presume that its the crank bearing that is shot and not the clutch bearing. If so I haven't seen or heard of any 500I's with that issue.

Its going to be a costly repair but if the rest of the machine is OK then I think that its worth repairing it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

I presume that its the crank bearing that is shot and not the clutch bearing. If so I haven't seen or heard of any 500I's with that issue.

Its going to be a costly repair but if the rest of the machine is OK then I think that its worth repairing it.

He says the play is on the clutch side so presume it’s the crank bearing behind the clutch. With a new 500i at £1300 plus it’s got to be worth fixing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

He says the play is on the clutch side so presume it’s the crank bearing behind the clutch. With a new 500i at £1300 plus it’s got to be worth fixing.

Is that what they cost now? I’m even more fed up with it if so, piece of crap!