Thoughts.

Trailoftears

OK, a serious post this time. Bear in mind, my experience of these different saws is limited. It appears to me that the differences between some Stihl models is not huge. I bought the 400 first, and decided as soon as I got it, that I had bought exactly the right saw for me. A step up from an 038, and nicer/lighter to use. It impressed me so much that I decided to retire the 251 for a 261. I love that too, they're both a joy to use. 

Now here's the thing. If I had bought the 261 first, I'm not sure I'd have bought the 400. When I had 023/038 combination, the 023 was the first one picked up every time, and the 038 was only for when things needed a bigger bar, cos it was a numb brute. I now find the 261 is so versatile that I question whether the 400 is a big enough leap from it. I did consider a 462 very seriously before buying the 400, and if I'm honest, I think would have been a  better companion to the 261. ( Of course, if I hadn't bought the 261, and struggled on with the 251, the 400 was a perfect choice) 😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

OK, a serious post this time. Bear in mind, my experience of these different saws is limited. It appears to me that the differences between some Stihl models is not huge. I bought the 400 first, and decided as soon as I got it, that I had bought exactly the right saw for me. A step up from an 038, and nicer/lighter to use. It impressed me so much that I decided to retire the 251 for a 261. I love that too, they're both a joy to use. 

Now here's the thing. If I had bought the 261 first, I'm not sure I'd have bought the 400. When I had 023/038 combination, the 023 was the first one picked up every time, and the 038 was only for when things needed a bigger bar, cos it was a numb brute. I now find the 261 is so versatile that I question whether the 400 is a big enough leap from it. I did consider a 462 very seriously before buying the 400, and if I'm honest, I think would have been a  better companion to the 261. ( Of course, if I hadn't bought the 261, and struggled on with the 251, the 400 was a perfect choice) 😂😂😂

Interesting post and it mirror's my thoughts and experiences in many ways.I had a v.reliable 038,but it was a handful re:not state of the art a.v. and a lot of huffing n puffing when starting it-but v.good at starting/running etc.It just wasn't a saw you'd stick in your groin area and flamboyantly pull on heavily (unless you had no wish for further offspring).So I bought an extremely clean lightly used 441.Which is light years ahead of the old 038 in many ways-excellent a.v/decomp valve etc.But not really a daily saw for me.So after making the classic mistake of buying a ms250 thinking 50cc/ok weight/good everday mid-range saw etc,etc then finding it was a crock of sh*t,I too bought a 261-which what I should have done in the first place 🙄.I gather the 400 is basically an 'improved/souped-up 362?Going forward it will be interesting to see if the magnesium/ceramic coated piston will expand within the pro saws?Also its too early to know about robustness/durability and so on.

11 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

No need to put a negative slant on it,the fact remains I HAVE sold 2 chainsaws in under 3 months!And no-I didnt pass my maths exams at school ☹️

No negativity here, you got rid of your old stuff and bought something you liked. Be happy 😁

On 23/03/2024 at 21:24, Rich Rule said:

Home owners saw.

I wouldn’t bother myself.  Saying that I would bypass a 261 as well. 

I really like the next group up, the 361/362 etc.  now I believe the 400 is the current offering.

the 400 is an awesome saw and more than worth the money.

The MS241 Is the entry level Stihl PRO ground saw. Definitely NOT a home owner saw. Homeowner Stihl finish in their range with the MS251. Was one of the first Stihl saws with mtronic alongside the ms441. This was around 2011.

5 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

You would know.  I haven’t picked up a 026/260/261 level saw for probably around 18 years.

I stand corrected but still wouldn’t own a 241.

What saws do you use, Rich? I go from 16" 220 to 25" 500i. Hardly ever feel the need for anything inbetween. Sold my 18" 261 for that reason. If I had nothing else to spend money on I'd get a 20" 362/400 but it's a want, not a need.

That's climbing btw. I've done more grounding on site clearances recently where I've enjoyed having a smaller petrol saw but it still wasn't that necessary. 

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1

150t x 2 (10”)

194t (12”)

200t x 2 (12”)

441 (20”)

660. (28”)

I regularly work with a guy and use a 400 and 500i as well.  He also has a 201 rear handle.  Pains me to say it but it is a decent little saw for the right task.

For a small ground saw, chipper saw etc 550 or 560 Huskies are really popular here.