Old saws

gobbypunk

So I have 4 old MS 180’s they will not run my mate in the shop says they are not worth mending but the one hasn’t done that much work I don’t know if he is just kinda saying that and he just can’t be arsed with them I am not that good with chainsaw motors so can’t fiddle with them myself so is it worth taking them somewhere else or just try and sell as a job lot spares or repair Thanks For your Thoughts. Mark

You could try putting up the issues on here and see where that leads but TBH, selling them one at a time after a good clean up will probably get you a reasonable amount on eBay but make sure they are sold as "Spare or Repair" otherwise you will get a load of trouble from the purchasers. 

Don't sell them as a job lot, it is a good way to get the least money possible. Getting the best money means selling each saw, boxing each one and sending them out to the UK....personally I wouldn't insure and the courier cost should be £8-12 - if it is any more than that, someone is ripping you off. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys and to be honest I just cant be arsed with them my workshop is so full of clutter its mad so if somebody will take them all at once then its another box of junk gone ,Thanks for the advice  Mark

On 07/03/2024 at 14:26, gobbypunk said:

So I have 4 old MS 180’s they will not run my mate in the shop says they are not worth mending but the one hasn’t done that much work I don’t know if he is just kinda saying that and he just can’t be arsed with them I am not that good with chainsaw motors so can’t fiddle with them myself so is it worth taking them somewhere else or just try and sell as a job lot spares or repair Thanks For your Thoughts. Mark

Hey !

if your MS 180 chainsaws aren't running, here 2 most practical options IMO

1. 1. Different technicians might have varying levels of expertise or willingness to tackle repairs on older models.

2. 2. consider selling them as a job lot for spares or repairs. There's a market for used parts, and this could be the easiest way to recoup some value.

4 minutes ago, AlanK said:

1. 2. consider selling them as a job lot for spares or repairs. There's a market for used parts, and this could be the easiest way to recoup some value.

I think he has done that from the post above ...

• Like 1

Its a bit long-winded,but assuming there are decent bars/chains/shrouds involved etc, If you sold out all the bits its not inconceivable that you get close to the value of a decent 2nd hand one.Plus you get to pull things to bits too-happy days 👍