Diesel thieves and how best to deal with

8 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Generally speaking yes and helps to be in the employ of the crown. That being said even soldiers and police have been subject to manslaughter/murder charges.

One reason the met had loads of firearms officers resigning recently as they have no legal backup.

Well if you call boots trousers and a shirt uniform then crack on...😂

Leave a bowser out with 100 odd litres of red in… also add a load of sugar, bleach and salt in. Should start ****************ing their transit up by the the time you’ve moved to a different site. I know someone who did this on a larger scale in a decoy bowser on a farm. A few vans were abandoned when the travellers moved on from the local green 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

Leave a bowser out with 100 odd litres of red in… also add a load of sugar, bleach and salt in. Should start ****************ing their transit up by the the time you’ve moved to a different site. I know someone who did this on a larger scale in a decoy bowser on a farm. A few vans were abandoned when the travellers moved on from the local green 

Amongst all the ridiculous ‘hang ‘em up by the bollocks’ suggestions, this one isn’t too bad.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Amongst all the ridiculous ‘hang ‘em up by the bollocks’ suggestions, this one isn’t too bad.

I Heard a local farmer just sneaked up on some fuel robbers and shot out all the windows in their van then hung two of them up a tree for a couple of days before the cops turned up to collect them.

Apparently some of their dogs got shot too which seemed to stop the problems .

Edited by Botty Cough

6 hours ago, AHPP said:

They are.

4 hours ago, Botty Cough said:

Firearms are used daily in the defence of private property in the UK.

These responses scare me a bit, I hope you two don't possess firearms or shotguns? Following various firearms acts, possession of guns is not a right like in the US but a privilege granted by the police, after you have demonstrated you are of good character, submitting character references etc. Abuse it and the police will simply take your guns away with very little ability to appeal, which even then takes years. Put basically it doesn't really matter whether what you do is right or wrong, if the police think you are being reckless, that's it. Firearms are even stricter, you need to demonstrate 'good reason' for use.  Guidelines set out that good reasons include sporting, vermin control etc. but explicitly NOT defending yourself or your premises (read section 12.81 of the home office guidelines if you want).

7 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Maybe in the US but in the UK.  Firearms are not allowed to be used for self defence, protection of private property or even threatening to be used on another human.  

6 hours ago, AHPP said:

They are.

10 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

These responses scare me a bit, I hope you two don't possess firearms or shotguns? Following various firearms acts, possession of guns is not a right like in the US but a privilege granted by the police, after you have demonstrated you are of good character, submitting character references etc. Abuse it and the police will simply take your guns away with very little ability to appeal, which even then takes years. Put basically it doesn't really matter whether what you do is right or wrong, if the police think you are being reckless, that's it. Firearms are even stricter, you need to demonstrate 'good reason' for use.  Guidelines set out that good reasons include sporting, vermin control etc. but explicitly NOT defending yourself or your premises (read section 12.81 of the home office guidelines if you want).

Firstly, consider my reply as mine and the other bloke's as his please.

Right, read what you said. We weren't talking about good reason to acquire guns on licences. We were talking about the normal law of self-defence. You can do whatever with whatever if it satisfies the normal requirements (reasonableness, proportionality, imminence etc). You're basically right about self-defence not being good reason to acquire firearms, for normal sportsmen.

Example: You're a small woman out pigeon shooting with your wheelchair-bound teenage daughter. Five big men with knives burst through the hedge, tell you they're going to rape you both and kill you both and then they all lunge at you. You can shoot them. You go home and apply for a licence for a pistol for self defence. You probably won't get it.

• Like 2

Well the pistol is only going to happen in northern Ireland or if you're a vet wanting a single shot under section 5 if memory serves.

Plus it's reasonable force, whilst a grey area it didn't go to well for the farmer about twenty years ago.

Edited by GarethM

3 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Well the pistol is only going to happen in northern Ireland or if you're a vet wanting a single shot.

Not so.

Some people in mainland Britain have " preservation of life" for a S5 weapon,carried on their person or at home.

Hard to believe but it's true.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Firstly, consider my reply as mine and the other bloke's as his please.

Right, read what you said. We weren't talking about good reason to acquire guns on licences. We were talking about the normal law of self-defence. You can do whatever with whatever if it satisfies the normal requirements (reasonableness, proportionality, imminence etc). You're basically right about self-defence not being good reason to acquire firearms, for normal sportsmen.

Example: You're a small woman out pigeon shooting with your wheelchair-bound teenage daughter. Five big men with knives burst through the hedge, tell you they're going to rape you both and kill you both and then they all lunge at you. You can shoot them. You go home and apply for a licence for a pistol for self defence. You probably won't get it.

Yes your example is different from the example of lying in wait for diesel thieves, which demonstrates “intention” but even then I stand by my point - in the UK you are on very sketchy territory using guns for self defence or defence of property. You may win a long legal battle but i doubt you’ll ever be allowed to own guns afterwards.

20 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Yes your example is different from the example of lying in wait for diesel thieves, which demonstrates “intention” but even then I stand by my point - in the UK you are on very sketchy territory using guns for self defence or defence of property. You may win a long legal battle but i doubt you’ll ever be allowed to own guns afterwards.

Aye. Sitting out to shoot thieves is probably illegal.

• Haha 2