Treework in Canada

I'm from the UK and I'm thinking about working in Canada for a while, Alberta or bc. What's the work like out there and what can I expect to earn with only just over a years climbing on the job. I need some help figuring out the best place to go for pay and cost of living. Any help would be appreciated  

Not sure on Alberta or BC. If you fancied Ontario, have a look Diamond Tree Care. They've got a fast amount of equipment. A couple of big crane's, multiple bucket trucks as their known there. I believe there quite happy to take British workers as they've had more than one. 

Ontario has a ban on my dogs breed so it’s not an option for me the same with Manitoba and Quebec, Alberta is slot cheaper so I think it would be easier to budget and survive than bc.

9 hours ago, gand said:

Not sure on Alberta or BC. If you fancied Ontario, have a look Diamond Tree Care. They've got a fast amount of equipment. A couple of big crane's, multiple bucket trucks as their known there. I believe there quite happy to take British workers as they've had more than one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

What dog breed do you have?

I take it you are thinking of taking your dog (s) with you?

She’s a staffy and yeah I want to stay the full 2 years on the visa, 

5 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Alberta you will only be doing treework part time from what I gather.

Winter is a nearly full time season.

Really? Is it just too cold and wet to work? 
maybe bc is a better option for the weather but it costs so much to live there. I thought Canada is as the promised land for us 

• Like 1

Alberta gets cold as. When I worked the rigs out there it hit -45 regularly and up to -57 in the wind chil and we didn't stop. Not sure what tree work would be like out there. 

Alberta is very highly driven by oil and gas. Maybe go out there and go for a change? I worked as a roughneck on a service rig and I made good coin at 17-18 years old. That was 10 years ago now but yeah. 

Cost of living there is quite expensive. 

Alberta is a whole different way of life, prepare to travel for work. I used to do sometimes 200kms a day easily to get to site in the Rocky Mountain range. Sometimes 30-50km into the forest to get to a rig. 

Where in AB are you going to be staying?

Edited by Donnie

On 06/03/2024 at 16:33, franks_treecare said:

She’s a staffy and yeah I want to stay the full 2 years on the visa, 

Really? Is it just too cold and wet to work? 
maybe bc is a better option for the weather but it costs so much to live there. I thought Canada is as the promised land for us 

We had a Canadian guy over contracting, think he's from Montreal. The way he described it they worked a 9 month season, the other 3 hassle with snow, frozen gear, iced up chippers, etc. Just not worth trying to work in it.