URGENT. Oregon chainsaw chain problems and which do you use on your firewood processor

cessna

I have recently used an Oregon 73 EXL chain with a Sugihara bar on my processor (JAPA 2100).I have sharpened it with my Stihl 2-in-1 easy file but for some reason the depth gauge file has filed too much of the depth gauge teeth making the chains natch into logs so much so its not safe to use.I made sure I tilted the easy file away from the depth gauge but still seems to have filed too much off. I am pretty sure the problem did not happen with the OREGON  73 DPX chain. Suggestion  please as to what I am doing wrong.

What type of Oregon Chain (1.5mm groove,3/8", 56 links) do you use on your firewood processor especially if you are processing wood every day. Thankyou. 

I think we would suggest you just go back to old school sharpening with a file and holder.

Never been a fan of the all in one, yes old school is slow but you have full control.

• Like 2

I've swapped to rotatech but to be honest any type of chain should work on a processor, there's not a major difference. When I hand sharpen I only do the depth guages every few times on hardwood unless I've hit something. They tend to wear on processors anyway.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stere said:

Use a depth gauge plate instead & ditch the 2 in 1 as that sounds like the issue not the chain brand...

image.jpeg.7e472410a43534c6a1d776d4fe50d2eb.jpeg

I think with the 2 in 1 others have had same issue

Many thanks for posting the video, very much appreciated as that explains all👍  

Many thanks for all your replies. I will persevere with the file and file holder and get a depth gauge ordered.

That said are "full  chisel teeth" slightly more difficult to sharpen correctly compared to "semi chisel" teeth?

I ask as you can tell I am not a professional forester /arborist !!!!  

Some folk say they find it difficult to sharpen semi over full chisel, I can't understand why tbh. Might just be there sharpening skills. I wonder if these files are set for Stihl chain only? Might be worth trying the Stihl 1.5mm chain? Husqvarna have numerous different filing kits for different chains, even when it's the same gauge and pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/03/2024 at 20:55, cessna said:

Many thanks for all your replies. I will persevere with the file and file holder and get a depth gauge ordered.

That said are "full  chisel teeth" slightly more difficult to sharpen correctly compared to "semi chisel" teeth?

I ask as you can tell I am not a professional forester /arborist !!!!  

I use the EXL on all my Huskys and go through a fair few chains. Defo learn how to sharpen them without a guide. Not that hard once you get the hang of it. 

I find the rakers to be quite high on the EXL full chisel stuff that I use. 

Also order plenty files, as the reel of that stuff is absolutely hellish on files for the first sharpen. There seems to be a lot of material to remove before you get the file up and around the cutter. 

I would advise Vallorbe files as they are far better than Oregon. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Donnie said:

I use the EXL on all my Huskys and go through a fair few chains. Defo learn how to sharpen them without a guide. Not that hard once you get the hang of it. 

I find the rakers to be quite high on the EXL full chisel stuff that I use. 

Also order plenty files, as the reel of that stuff is absolutely hellish on files for the first sharpen. There seems to be a lot of material to remove before you get the file up and around the cutter. 

I would advise Vallorbe files as they are far better than Oregon. 

I agree with the Vallorbe files, far better than Oregon. I think they've been through a better hardening process, not much difference in price either 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gand said:

I agree with the Vallorbe files, far better than Oregon. I think they've been through a better hardening process, not much difference in price either 

I'm sure vallorbe actually make them for Oregon, maybe to a different spec.

The odd old Oregon ones I have, I think says Swiss made in the exact same font/lettering and basic cardboard box design.

• Like 1