Too much to chew?

MikeB1979

Difficult to make out the diameter of the largest parts, but a 16" bar really only has a useable length of 14 or 15" . Therefore if the max diameter of that trunk a lot wider than 28 or 30" then even if you sawed all the way around the diameter the full depth of the bar it would still be attached in the middle.

More importantly is the saw up to it rather than the length of the bar.....you can fit a 16" bar to an ms211 but i wouldnt want to cut a huge trunk with one 

2 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Difficult to make out the diameter of the largest parts, but a 16" bar really only has a useable length of 14 or 15" . Therefore if the max diameter of that trunk a lot wider than 28 or 30" then even if you sawed all the way around the diameter the full depth of the bar it would still be attached in the middle.

More importantly is the saw up to it rather than the length of the bar.....you can fit a 16" bar to an ms211 but i wouldnt want to cut a huge trunk with one 

It's an old stihl 025 I've got. I have another McColloch 16" too but neither are particularly fearsome. The father I'm law is helping too but not sure what his saw is. I doubt over 20" bar though. 

10 minutes ago, MikeB1979 said:

It's an old stihl 025 I've got. I have another McColloch 16" too but neither are particularly fearsome.

You could chunk it out with 16" but with that kind of small hp on the saw it's going to take a very very long time. Quite possibly the sort of thing that finishes an old saw off.

I would say yes, too big .

Splitting, you'd be fine with the X27. Oaks not usually too bad.

• Like 1

Yes it’s possible as you can cut blocks out then split it down but this is incredibly time consuming. 

The real question is: Is it worth it? How do you value your time and sanity. With a 025 I would say no thanks, and go to work for a day to buy a load of logs.

Just now, Dan Maynard said:

You could chunk it out with 16" but with that kind of small hp on the saw it's going to take a very very long time. Quite possibly the sort of thing that finishes an old saw off.

I would say yes, too big .

Splitting, you'd be fine with the X27. Oaks not usually too bad.

SNAP!

23 minutes ago, Will C said:

Yes it’s possible as you can cut blocks out then split it down but this is incredibly time consuming. 

The real question is: Is it worth it? How do you value your time and sanity. With a 025 I would say no thanks, and go to work for a day to buy a load of logs.

I go to work 5 days a week, the point is I don't intend on buying logs if can help it. But you are right on a price on time. With a 3 year old and 4 month old baby I've better places to be. Thanks for the advice it is very much appreciated. Plus the 025 might live to fight another day. I'll go for the free beech that's straight and free and 5 mins from home instead. 

• Like 2