Husky 345 spewing oil

Botty Cough

Yes, I presume as the clutch is reverse threaded, in a post-acceleration phase the clutch could spin "forward" faster than the engine and undo. Presumably the clutch then needs to pop the clip off and it runs across the floor away from you?

As said I have never had this issue, but I never rev much and after a clutch removal I make sure it first gets used with bar and cover on and a chain brake to tighten it fully.

3 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Yes, I presume as the clutch is reverse threaded, in a post-acceleration phase the clutch could spin "forward" faster than the engine and undo.

Yes it's the inertia of the clutch trying to rotate the slowing engine in much the same way the original range rover snapped rear half shafts when a wheel spun in the mud at full revs and the foot suddenly released the throttle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Botty Cough said:

Rubbish 

Well, I have had it happen and a few times in exactly the same way ADW mentions....the engine spools down and bingo, the clutch spins off and parts go everywhere...quite spectacular seeing a spinning clutch drum sparking on the block drive disappearing in to the distance, closely followed by the clutch:scared1:

It will be on external clutch saws and not the internally mounted ones hence this happening on the saws I mentioned.

I have had a Poulan clutch literally shat its components when it span off in the back garden, I should have learnt from this brief spell of stupidity but heck, I was used to a bit of danger being on bikes and the like so then I had 357XPs and 346XPs do the same, especially if the clutch had been removed, usually ending up losing the clutch bearings.

Sure, It is much less likely to happen if you use a rattle gun or if the clutch hasn't been removed but ADW isn't telling you this for his own health, he knows a little about saws as I do but up to you if you want to keep on with this practice.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, spudulike said:

Well, I have had it happen and a few times in exactly the same way ADW mentions....the engine spools down and bingo, the clutch spins off and parts go everywhere...quite spectacular seeing a spinning clutch drum sparking on the block drive disappearing in to the distance, closely followed by the clutch:scared1:

It will be on external clutch saws and not the internally mounted ones hence this happening on the saws I mentioned.

I have had a Poulan clutch literally shat its components when it span off in the back garden, I should have learnt from this brief spell of stupidity but heck, I was used to a bit of danger being on bikes and the like so then I had 357XPs and 346XPs do the same, especially if the clutch had been removed, usually ending up losing the clutch bearings.

Sure, It is much less likely to happen if you use a rattle gun or if the clutch hasn't been removed but ADW isn't telling you this for his own health, he knows a little about saws as I do but up to you if you want to keep on with this practice.

So are you saying that this only happens on externally mounted clutches?  Or just that it is more likely to happen on externally mounted clutches but it can happen on both types? Thanks

2 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

So are you saying that this only happens on externally mounted clutches?  Or just that it is more likely to happen on externally mounted clutches but it can happen on both types? Thanks

I don't play with enough chainsaws to know but it's the husqvarna type with left hand thread to undo the clutch that are at risk, especially if it has been recently replaced, as they tighten with work.

The stihl type with E clips holding the clutch are not at risk if the clip is secure.

Edited by openspaceman
typo