More doom and gloom

6 hours ago, daveatdave said:

has anyone mentioned barbecues, chimineas, Pitzer ovens never mind bonfire night oh and the fire pits. 

Or Jumbo jets taking off from HR every 2 mins all day every day ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

A report I saw last year even gas boilers produce PM2.5, it's the typical scaremongering that wastes air time.

Even when were shivering in a cave, eating pill food. They will find something else to harp on about, micro plastic from clothes, rubber from your shoes etc etc.

Usually seems to be those that have had a load of kids banging on about it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, openspaceman said:

...until it is below 20%, which only takes a summer in a covered well ventilated store, it burns cleanly in a flaming stove.

True, you could also use a kiln and be there in two weeks.  I prefer a slower process that involves the wood getting rained on outside for a year then brought indoors for a year.  But then I do have lots of space and a telehandler.

I would love to see some proper scientific analysis of emissions from various logs that had had different treatments.

• Like 1

Without trying to get political, I generally assume those groups are like the chattering classes quotes wasting their evenings at dinner parties.

But it's fine to improve, make better and more efficient through the natural progression of technology to use less more efficiently.

I draw the line at the groups inevitable it's never good enough stance. Like Gretta, go back to school and invent something better, cheaper and preferably locally made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

The environmental air scientists can differentiate particulates arising from combustion of fossil fuels from those from biomass burning, so that is accounted for in the overall picture. What they cannot do is tell whether the biomass is burned in a stove, open fire, bonfire or wildfire.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The environmental air scientists can differentiate particulates arising from combustion of fossil fuels from those from biomass burning, so that is accounted for in the overall picture. What they cannot do is tell whether the biomass is burned in a stove, open fire, bonfire or wildfire.

Doubtful, when a particle of PM2.5 is a 2.5micron particle mostly of carbon.

1 hour ago, Muddy42 said:

True, you could also use a kiln and be there in two weeks.  I prefer a slower process that involves the wood getting rained on outside for a year then brought indoors for a year.  But then I do have lots of space and a telehandler.

Why take two weeks? Our kiln dropped 18 tonnes of poplar down below 20% in a 24 hours cycle.

Of course the practicalities are different between cutting and seasoning logs for domestic use from doing the same on a commercial firewood sale but until the moisture content drops below about 20% various microbes in the wood are respiring some of the dry matter in the wood. I surmise the stuff they consume is the  more volatile compound that give a lively flame so this bit is lost over time when logs are stored out  in the round.

I would love to see some proper scientific analysis of emissions from various logs that had had different treatments.

The concern is about particulates which are Products of Incomplete Combustion I suspect even if you could largely  eliminate these, perhaps with an electrostatic filter, you would still have the smells of wood burning ( which are also PICs but gaseous rather than sooty particles).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Doubtful, when a particle of PM2.5 is a 2.5micron particle mostly of carbon.

It's 2.5 micron and down and while most of it may be carbon when it is collected on a filter the mass agglomerates and and can be analysed for markers, wood smoke typically has benzo-a-pyrene adsorbed onto the sooty particles amongst other polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons

• Like 1