Finger scar healing - any recommendations

Stihl123

20 hours ago, woody paul said:

Did you damage tendon or nerves, that looks good 

No damage to tendon or nerves but did cut through an artery on thumb side but not the one on the other side of index finger (if both cut then risk go finger dying without surgery within a few hours). Sealed off cut to the artery within a few minutes with a hemostatic gauze dressing (Woundclot 10 cm X 10cm).

3 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

No damage to tendon or nerves but did cut through an artery on thumb side but not the one on the other side of index finger (if both cut then risk go finger dying without surgery within a few hours). Sealed off cut to the artery within a few minutes with a hemostatic gauze dressing (Woundclot 10 cm X 10cm).

Was that the wee woundclot dressing that comes in the personal first aid kits you hang on your belt? I got one in a Stein kit. Bought the kit on account of the woundclot, as advertised on the label.. when I saw the size of the thing I felt a bit cheated. Cool that you made it work 👍

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Was that the wee woundclot dressing that comes in the personal first aid kits you hang on your belt? I got one in a Stein kit. Bought the kit on account of the woundclot, as advertised on the label.. when I saw the size of the thing I felt a bit cheated. Cool that you made it work 👍

The Stein Personal Bleed Control Kit and Plus kit have 1 x 10 cm X 10cm WoundClot dressing, the Medium kit has 1 x 8 cm X 20 cm dressing and the Large 2 x 8 cm x 20 cm dressings. I have the Plus kit but also bought 2 x 10 cm x 10 cm WoundClot dressings from physical-sports.co.uk for £16.25 plus vat. they do work in my experience and they claim to be effective in stopping bleeding for up to 24hrs, there is no manual pressure required once applied like some other makes which is good. When an artery is cut shock  will kick in and blood pressure drop quickly, it was over 1.5 hrs before ambulance arrived at the hospital emergency service dept and although I did at first begin with feel myself going I remained conscious probably on account of applying quickly the WoundClot dressing. 

You was luck not to do a tendon or nerve. Went through tendon in thump will skinning a deer, just straight across and then when plastics did surgery cut 90 deg to both ends to open it up. Can and will for the rest of my life feel knot in stitches they joined tendon with. 

DSC_0097.JPG

17 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

The Stein Personal Bleed Control Kit and Plus kit have 1 x 10 cm X 10cm WoundClot dressing, the Medium kit has 1 x 8 cm X 20 cm dressing and the Large 2 x 8 cm x 20 cm dressings. I have the Plus kit but also bought 2 x 10 cm x 10 cm WoundClot dressings from physical-sports.co.uk for £16.25 plus vat. they do work in my experience and they claim to be effective in stopping bleeding for up to 24hrs, there is no manual pressure required once applied like some other makes which is good. When an artery is cut shock  will kick in and blood pressure drop quickly, it was over 1.5 hrs before ambulance arrived at the hospital emergency service dept and although I did at first begin with feel myself going I remained conscious probably on account of applying quickly the WoundClot dressing. 

Yeah, that's the one I got, the Steiner +. I moved the wee dressing to a personal boo-boo kit, it's not suitable for a life threatening bleed but good to know it works all the same. Replaced the entire contents of the pouch with a single celox z-fold rapid, at €75 a few years ago. I have another pouch kit in the van with a tourniquet, 2 Israeli bandages and a CPR face mask. Used one of the Israeli bandage a few years ago at the scene of a car accident on a casualty. Serious scalp wound but weirdly not bleeding much. I was worried the injured party would faint and fall over, further contaminating the wound. Having a nice long bandage with a built in fluffy cushion pad obviated a lot of the stress of the situation.

24 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Yeah, that's the one I got, the Steiner +. I moved the wee dressing to a personal boo-boo kit, it's not suitable for a life threatening bleed but good to know it works all the same. Replaced the entire contents of the pouch with a single celox z-fold rapid, at €75 a few years ago. I have another pouch kit in the van with a tourniquet, 2 Israeli bandages and a CPR face mask. Used one of the Israeli bandage a few years ago at the scene of a car accident on a casualty. Serious scalp wound but weirdly not bleeding much. I was worried the injured party would faint and fall over, further contaminating the wound. Having a nice long bandage with a built in fluffy cushion pad obviated a lot of the stress of the situation.

I thought of buying a larger hemostatic dressing but with 2 x 10 cm x 10 cm used together you could treat a sizeable wound, I have some of those hemostatic granules as well but you need to apply a gauze and bandage on top so not as good  in an emergency if up a tree or some distance from another worker ... slipped on spikes once with climbing saw running cutting wrist and one of those 10 cm x 10 cm dressing would have more than covered area had I had one at the time (about 6 cm cut).

6 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

I thought of buying a larger hemostatic dressing but with 2 x 10 cm x 10 cm used together you could treat a sizeable wound, I have some of those hemostatic granules as well but you need to apply a gauze and bandage on top so not as good  in an emergency if up a tree or some distance from another worker ... slipped on spikes once with climbing saw running cutting wrist and one of those 10 cm x 10 cm dressing would have more than covered area had I had one at the time (about 6 cm cut).

Ok. Are they up to stopping a gusher though? With the celox product they say you really have to pack it into the wound and stuff.

• 1 month later...

It's a bit late for the OP, but for anyone else reading this for the first 9  months after damaging a finger tip there is the best possibility of repairing sensitivity. You do this by constantly stimulating it with a small sharp stone or small bolt, rolling it between the affected finger and thumb every chance you get. After about a year the sensitivity will not improve much. Sorry slightly off topic, but it might help someone else.

• Like 1

2 things i have done in years gone by that still bother me now n then are 1, 1981 a tiny hairline fracture on the ball joint on my left ankle that ended up with a pot on it for 6wks, this still bothers me now n then especially if its cold and its getting used a lot like when i am out picking up with dogs, 2,,1983 took all the skin and some flesh off my left fore finger with a lump hammer while knocking through a wall to put a soil pipe in on a barn conversion, did the usual thing on the day put a bit of bog roll round it and wrapped it with insulation tape job done, morning after it was off to doctors with a hand twice the size of normal and got it cleaned up properly and drained then back every morning for a wk to be re dressed and drained again ,this scare what,s left of it drives me mad some days especially if gloves are rubbing on it, it becomes very itchy and inflamed and occasionally it does swell up a bit and can last for several days, both these injuries are 40 plus years old but yes they still bother me a bit now n then, finger is by far the worst and very annoying,,