Planting beech hedge - how to improve soil, stop waterlogging in heavy clay site

Cordata

Hi all,

I have been asked to look at a job where the customer wants a beech hedge planted along one side of their garden. The whole area consists of heavy clay soil and there's evident waterlogging, ground squishy everywhere.

The neighbour directly over the fence where the hedge is to be planted, has put in a French drain, to collect the water and take it away.  

I've attached an image showing the site and direction of water flow. My question is: how best to prepare the ground for the beech hedge going in? 

I am considering a metre-wide trench, the existing clay soil completely removed, and refilled with 50:50 soil/compost. Maybe even digging lower than required for the trees (50cm?) and putting a small layer of rocks/gravel in the bottom to alleviate potential drainage issues. I don't know if I should consider additional drainage methods, as the water flows towards where we want to plant, is it possible to take TOO much water away?

Forest research says - "Beech can grow on mineral soils of poor to medium nutrient status including calcareous ones, but does not tolerate compacted, waterlogged or very dry soils". So waterlogged (as it is currently) is bad, but I don't want to overdo drainage so there is no moisture available, if that's even possible.  

Anyone with experience of this situation able to offer advice? Thanks

beech hedge pic1.png

38 minutes ago, Stere said:

Id say choose  hornbeam instead & your plan may create a sump for water, & make a berm to plant into

Looks like a new build might be turf layed over subsoil & topsoil missing or some other messed up  things.

Thanks, that is very true about just creating a place for the water to pool in, I'm just not sure what the best thing to do is.

I like the idea for a raised section & what that website says, I will ask the question and see what they say.   

Hornbeam is similar to beech that would be good, I think it's quite a lot slower growing though. I've suggested 1.75-2m trees, and they want the hedge to grow up past the fence for privacy, so the time taken to grow might make them want something else

1 minute ago, Cordata said:

Thanks, that is very true about just creating a place for the water to pool in, I'm just not sure what the best thing to do is.

I like the idea for a raised section & what that website says, I will ask the question and see what they say.   

Hornbeam is similar to beech that would be good, I think it's quite a lot slower growing though. I've suggested 1.75-2m trees, and they want the hedge to grow up past the fence for privacy, so the time taken to grow might make them want something else

Clients are always wanting instant hedging for ‘privacy’ like anyone gives a toss what they get up to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Hornbeam thrives in the clay of the Weald.

I for whatever reason didn't know that characteristic of hornbeam, liking moisture.

From a few google searches it could be the perfect thing to plant, maybe even digging a trench and mixing some compost in with the naturally occurring clay in case it is devoid of nutrients.

Because all the websites I'm reading say it's moisture tolerant and does well in clay, maybe I don't need to create a raised area of soil as @Stere says?

I live in the area Mick is referring to - the Sussex Weald; nearly all the naturally grown trees - and many of the planted ones - are oak and hornbeam. I haven't noticed any fussiness on the part of hornbeam as to what aspect it wants its clay; anything goes it seems though perhaps waterlogged is taking things a bit far. But planting on a slightly raised bed has to be a serious option

• Like 1

Any trench you dig will become a pond, I would plant hornbeam, you can get instant hedging up to 2 m so no waiting.

if they really want beech (and I’d be fairly certain that they won’t be able to tell the difference between green beech and hornbeam both keeping their leaves over winter)

dig a trench with a French drain at the bottom then pack a free draining soil into the trench in layers well trodden, if you don’t compact you will leave air spaces which will fill with water then plant bare root trees and don’t be shocked if they die 

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Looks like a new build might be turf laid over subsoil & topsoil missing or some other messed up  things.

Not a fan of lifeless new build identikit pig-ugly houses, for the garden though I'd also factor in that it might not all be soil under the turf - left over bricks, cement, all sorts, usually a thin top soil - from round here that all gets scrapped off the plot first thing, and the slop suggests to me heavy machinery driven all over the garden to create that.. so perhaps factor in a little extra digging time and perhaps something for compacted poor soil.

• Like 1