Flat Pack American Jeep

chopperpete

Andy Smyths father and a mate went to a MOD disposal auction sometime in the 1960's to buy a couple of motorbikes, which they duely  did, and a couple more motorbikes at very bad money, well, just because.

They then quickly realized that they could not ride them all home, so bid on a scruffy 3 tonner, which was, again knocked down for silly low money, being petrol probably played a part in the lack of bidder interest.

Anyway when the went to load their purchased motorbikes into the rear of the 3 tonner.

It was already full of other motorbikes.

Andys dad, being a very straight Ex RAF bloke, told some of the staff that they had only bid on the lorry, not the cargo therein, and where would they offload them.

"Mate, you bought them, so please bloody take them away"..

So they did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

And I thought I did well bidding unseen on a 3 ton farm trailer, mine for 150 quid. 

Towed it the 2 miles home, turned out to be full of 'scrap' out of which I have so far made a yard scraper, trailer cage sides, chip box frame, with lid,  auger mount and other bits. Still got some of it left.

And then I sold the trailer for 200 quid 👍 👍 

• Like 2

In the 1960s my dad worked for a scrap dealer cutting up M4 Sherman tanks.Each one is worth about £200K now.They also cut up Bren Gun carriers,dad bought one for scrap value and kept it untill the 1980s.

A family freind still has the Chevrolet truck that dad sold him on his farm to this day.The climate in New Zealand is really kind to steel in Canterbury.

I have had a couple of Willys Jeeps,all original WW2 examples,fun toys and miles ahead of a series 1 landy

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, difflock said:

Well they, the few survivors  are only worth £200,000 cos your dad, and many others, cut most of them up for scrap!

Sure ,but what else we're they good for? They tried to turn them into crawler tractors but they used to much fuel.

There are many that were filled with concrete and pushed into river mouthes to try and stop the river from wandering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hill said:

Sure ,but what else we're they good for? They tried to turn them into crawler tractors but they used to much fuel.

There are many that were filled with concrete and pushed into river mouthes to try and stop the river from wandering.

Why fill with concrete?  - It's not like they were going to float 🤔

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skc101fc said:

Why fill with concrete?  - It's not like they were going to float 🤔

I don't know,maybe they had alot of that too?

They took the turrets off them and filled them up apparently