Buying a new ground saw

SidneyJames88

Hey just looking for some advice, I got given a husky 550 Xp but I’ve saved up abit and looking to upgrade.

I subcontract so my work can be anything from whips to forest work.
Nothing over £1000 just looking for opinions I don’t want something which is going spend half the time on the shop.

MS261 18" best all round, but nice to have something smaller like the MS251 for tractor chipper work.

Should have got the smaller bar really for snedding, but keep considering a top handle Makita or the single battery version.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

Lots of threads on this but it depends on what you do.

550 in my opinion is the best general saw on the market. With 13,15 and 18 inch bars will see you right.

I've never got on with the bigger 560 it just seems not much of an upgrade in power for the weight. An 18 inch lives on that.

572 is lovely but I don't use it often I have 18 20 and 24 inch bars for that. When you want to log up my go to saw. 

My 540xp mk3 is a little pocket rocket light and nimble. Lovely for next to the chipper and the mewp.  I really like mine it does struggle on bigger timber but upto 15" it's great.

If you want a bigger saw than a 550 but not quite a 572xp. Then my favourite mid range saw is the Stihl ms400. Under rated saw that but about 68cc so it is big.

My line up of most used is

550xpg

540xp mk 3

572xpg

Then the 560 just because it's a bit in-between the outstanding 550 and 572. I'd have a 562 to try but I'm so impressed by the ms400 I'd actually get that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brushcutter said:

. I'd have a 562 to try but I'm so impressed by the ms400 I'd actually get that.

No point in having a 562 if you have a 560 . Same engine . .375 running gear instead of .325 but apart from some cosmetics its the same saw .;

• Like 2

I really really want to want a 400 on 20"  3/8 but the one time I had a go with one, I wasn't wowed. It was blunt and I'd just come off a rip-roaring 500i/661 session so the test was anything but fair but you can still sort of tell.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stere said:

So how does the new 540xp Mk3 compare to a ms201 they look very close in specs.

Not used the 201 for a while. Where as the 201 is 1,3mm and 3/8 Pico the 540 is the same but has the option of running 1,1mm .325..not tried the smaller .325 yet other than on a 540i which is nice but perhaps does clear chip too well but that could just be a battery thing saw thing.

Ergonomic wise the husky has the edge as they do. I am really impressed by it's power. If your a new operator it's a good saw to start with.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GarethM said:

MS261 18" best all round, but nice to have something smaller like the MS251 for tractor chipper work.

Should have got the smaller bar really for snedding, but keep considering a top handle Makita or the single battery version.

I'd agree about the 261, it's a manageable saw, but it thinks it's a 400. I have a 251, and a bit of trimming for the chipper is about its limit. That's why I now have a 261, should never have bought the 251, which replaced a 25 year old 023. It was supposed to be an upgrade, but it certainly wasn't. 

4 hours ago, Excels1or said:

I'd recommend the MS 400, great all round ground saw and light in the tree

I have an ear to ear grin when using the 400. Re your remark about weight, my 400 replaced an 038, which is definitely not  light.