Air control not working

Hi all.

Before I disclose what stove I am talking about, I'd like to hear some opinions about what I think could be an issue with the stove.

It is a stove with a backboiler, but that doesn't really make a difference.

Right, I have the stove burning nicely, up to temperature, all controls open, and when I shut all controls, primary, secondary, and even the flue damper....

......nothing happens....the flame does burn the same way.

After other ways to figure out whats going on, I even went as far as  sealing the direct air intake around the back while the fire is going.......still no change.

I resealed the door as well.

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

I fit stoves for a living, so all elements of the install are correct and working fine. I just never came across that issue.

Best wishes to all and happy new year.

Phil.

5 hours ago, Philipp Stummer said:

Hi all.

Before I disclose what stove I am talking about, I'd like to hear some opinions about what I think could be an issue with the stove.

It is a stove with a backboiler, but that doesn't really make a difference.

Right, I have the stove burning nicely, up to temperature, all controls open, and when I shut all controls, primary, secondary, and even the flue damper....

......nothing happens....the flame does burn the same way.

After other ways to figure out whats going on, I even went as far as  sealing the direct air intake around the back while the fire is going.......still no change.

I resealed the door as well.

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

I fit stoves for a living, so all elements of the install are correct and working fine. I just never came across that issue.

Best wishes to all and happy new year.

Phil.

Has it got an air hole on the back that is coverable or not depending if you are in a smokeless zone , and it open .

Is this a new install or an existing one that has changed its burning characteristics? 

Logically, burning needs air and if you have plugged all the know air inputs, it must either be manufactured with a certain amount of air input outside of the controllable ones for "eco" reasons or the stove has a fault causing air to enter the stove where it shouldn't.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Also pretty strange the flue damper makes no difference, it seems no air is coming in or going out.

Or, put another way, something not adding up.

With a lit stove, you can usually hear the roar of the air entering it when the dampers are opened so when the flue damper/dampers are closed, you should hear a big reduction in the induction noise.

Is this happening on the stove?

Posted (edited)

Hi all.

Thanks for your replies!

@daveatdave - all controls are visibly working

@spudulike - there is a tiny hissing when changing controls but barely noticeable, certainly not in a way the fire burns. I've tried all configurations without any change.

Even with Ecodesign stoves you should be able to control the fire to a certain extend and certainly a stove with  3 contols...

At this rate Ill be burning through my stock in no-time... 

@Dan - the flue dampener makes a tiny difference, with primary and secondary closed off. With the others open - no change

@stubby - did look but couldn't find one

@GarethM - did look but still couldn't find one, but if I find the weasel, I'll let you know 😉

@Honda - smoking tomorrow

Edited by Philipp Stummer