Ford transit chassis treatment

Con

Hi

What should I paint my chassis with? It's an 05 transit tipper, so I don't really want to go to town on it. Just something that requires minimal preparation and is not too expensive. 

Van has just had a bit of weld for mot, for the first time.  Just hoping I can slow down the demise a bit.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

Lanoguard is pretty popular at the moment, I had my Hilux done last winter and it’s been good. I think it’s about £120 for a big bottle, plus the spray gun and some grease, a good jet wash and knock any big rusty bits off with a wire brush or hammer and Chuck it on! 

Yes i think I might go the lano guard route on my recently purchased pickup seems the flavour of the month at the moment

Edited by swinny
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Con said:

Hi

What should I paint my chassis with? It's an 05 transit tipper, so I don't really want to go to town on it. Just something that requires minimal preparation and is not too expensive. 

Van has just had a bit of weld for mot, for the first time.  Just hoping I can slow down the demise a bit.

Thanks

Usually by the time wording is required for MOT it is too late to do much to slow it down.  Most of the serious rust comes through from the other side of box sections and double skin areas anyway which you can’t treat anyway.

Personally I would just get the welding done as and when it is needed.  With luck you will get a few more years yet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swinny said:

Yes i think I might go the lano guard route on my recently purchased pickup seems the flavour of the month at the moment

I think it’s good value for money, mine looks pretty clean still 12 months later. Also it’s clear so you can see any early signs of rust a bit sooner which is a bonus over paint 

• Like 2

Lanoguard is my vote of choice at present. Really would stay well away from Waxoyl. I never really was a fan but the reformulation a while back has made it half the product it used to be. 

Used dinitrol in the past which is good stuff too, but honestly Lanoguard goes on easily, does a good job of keeping the rust at bay and is easy to top up every year or two with an hours work. 

It has the big advantage of being clear and does not form a skin which lets rust form unnoticed underneath.

I've used it on both SUV's and lawnmowers, tractors etc and its worked well for me. 

• Like 1