Cheap pto chipper?

Peasgood

Is there such a thing as a cheapish pto driven chipper that can handle leylandii ?

I have a choice of tractors from 30-100hp. Only for own use on my farm that has a lot of leylandii to come down, anything fit for firewood will go that way so probably around the 4-6" max diameter.

What sort of money would such a thing start at and any recommendations other than a bonfire.

5 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Is there such a thing as a cheapish pto driven chipper that can handle leylandii ?

I have a choice of tractors from 30-100hp. Only for own use on my farm that has a lot of leylandii to come down, anything fit for firewood will go that way so probably around the 4-6" max diameter.

What sort of money would such a thing start at and any recommendations other than a bonfire.

GreenMech do with the hp you have.  A CM220 is a right good chipper for the top end and the EC150 suites the bottom end. They both work in any work in any gearbox range and are pretty bomb proof and British nadexahd supported by dealers up and down the land!

• Like 1

Sub £5k, preferably more like £3k.

I have no idea if they even exist at that price and be able to cope with leylandii, that is why I am asking.

The bonfire is always an option but could use some chip around the place. I see pto chippers advertised at £3k but I don't know if they would cope with leylandii as I have read on here it is a bit more tricky for the machines as it is gummy for one and it can also get wrapped around the internals.

There's a few on eBay, stick to a brand name tho.

There's a Kwikchip at 2.8k, working but with broken stress control.

Posch/bearcat and Wessex sub 1.5k, they're more shredders tho, but anything is better than burning.

Been there and hated every minute, until I got a TP150. Plus you get immediate results, roll in chop, chip and it's like you were never there 🙂.

4 hours ago, woody paul said:

Haha, how good do you think they are

Well I have a sneaking suspicion they are reasonably OK when brand new. I expect they block fairly easy, rust quickly and spares are not easy to come by along with zero resale value but thought it worth asking as I have no experience whatsoever.

Burning I have lots of experience and if left to go brown before lighting they are no bother at all. Just do it after a shower of rain so you don't set light to all your neighbours crops etc. Usually disappeared within half an hour and very little smoke. I have plenty of space for this, drop them as full trees and drag them to the burn site to trim the logs out.

• 2 weeks later...