Overrated bands (musically speaking)

Mick Dempsey

Meatloaf classic case of peaking too early, agreed!

One of the first bands I ever saw was Quo but anything after 'Rockin all over the World' forget it, I hate what they became.

I think a lot of this is down to age and not understanding or wanting to know whats good or bad, the tribalism of my youth when you were a Punk, Trog or somesuch happily died out and kids today like what they want rather than following a trend, probably healthier long term?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anno said:

Meatloaf classic case of peaking too early, agreed!

One of the first bands I ever saw was Quo but anything after 'Rockin all over the World' forget it, I hate what they became.

I think a lot of this is down to age and not understanding or wanting to know whats good or bad, the tribalism of my youth when you were a Punk, Trog or somesuch happily died out and kids today like what they want rather than following a trend, probably healthier long term?

I went to see Quo in 82(?). "The End of the Road" tour, as it happened, it was the first ever final tour! Still got a polo shirt from the the night!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PeteB said:

I went to see Quo in 82(?). "The End of the Road" tour, as it happened, it was the first ever final tour! Still got a polo shirt from the the night!

Me too - saw them total of six times on that tour in 84. Hammersmith odeon four times, Milton Keynes bowl and Crystal Palace 👍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rapalaman said:

Me too - saw them total of six times on that tour in 84. Hammersmith odeon four times, Milton Keynes bowl and Crystal Palace 👍

Were you on remand and this was some kind of alternative punishment?

6 times in one tour.  I knew the Grateful Dead had that kind of fan culture following them venue to venue.

Never realised the Quo had it aswell.

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

Were you on remand and this was some kind of alternative punishment?

6 times in one tour.  I knew the Grateful Dead had that kind of fan culture following them venue to venue.

Never realised the Quo had it aswell.

😂😂

would have gone every night but queuing for tickets was a nightmare - separate queue for each night. Also had booked to see them in Belgium but that got cancelled. I think I’ve seen them 20/21 times. Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson probably about the same. 
Still get to gigs a few times a year - everything from Yes, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Bad Manners, The Selecter, Kosheen, 80s bands, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Wardrunna, The Hu - I have a very varied taste!

Nightwish are on my to see list

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anno said:

last time I saw Tull Andersons voice was terrible, watching him strain to hit the notes was painful and I'd watched them numerous times before like you, think it was Roots to Branches Tour?

Exactly this - last time I saw them was two years ago and it wasn’t great ☹️

up till about five/six years ago he could still hit the notes.

I can’t remember the name but he had an excellent guest vocalist at one gig - really really good. Would be good if Ian would do the storytelling, flute playing etc and have this vocalist take over the singing.

I’ll just remember the great gigs and play Bursting Out for my fix of old school Tull 😏