Sourdough Addiction

JonnyRFT

I’ve recently been into making Sourdough bread. It’s surprisingly fun and addictive. I’m supplying my neighbours with all the excess loaves while I’m practicing.

I got a little jar of Starter Culture from work as an early Christmas present. It’s one of those gifts in which I was going to give it a undignified death in the back corner of my fridge. However, I thought I’d give it go and make some bread.

I was awful. Which I think spurred me on to make better loaves.

I’m getting pretty consistent in making light, fluffy, well risen examples which I’m pretty proud of.

I don’t know what has happened to me…

D88B3AC6-08A4-4A39-9311-BF0C16A2857D.thumb.jpeg.eefa8e3846cf9bfccfeca3cfb8eec8ce.jpeg

F7A7B57C-5635-401D-9666-9A4DDB90768D.jpeg

F5C807F6-C750-4D11-A655-6AFDC8A5F172.jpeg

DF3E17C0-44B6-436B-9A9E-549BB904A5FF.jpeg

B23B9093-7087-4201-8FC5-556D3A1F678F.jpeg

E37D0A0B-177F-4603-A60F-BE702F7EE7B2.jpeg

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Smashing job. There’s (pardon the pun) a whole culture around maintaining and sharing starters. Pizzerias do it too. Same dough since 1965 etc. Cooking coppicing. 

Funny you should say that…

Here’s the front of my house

BFFBB3A5-A0BF-4713-9132-5FADCE052903.jpeg

• Like 4

I am super tempted to start with sourdough. 

I've been baking most of my own bread since moving to Sweden (the bread here is a bit inconsistent and quite expensive sometimes) but I'm bored of my own loaves. 

Half of the issue is that it's virtually impossible to get good, wholemeal flour. 25% wholemeal seems to be as much as you'll get. 

So perhaps before going down the sourdough route, I'll start milling my own flour. But if I'm going to go to all that effort, then sourdough doesn't seem like much more outlay. 

Great effort though - your loaves look outstanding!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Big J said:

I am super tempted to start with sourdough. 

I've been baking most of my own bread since moving to Sweden (the bread here is a bit inconsistent and quite expensive sometimes) but I'm bored of my own loaves. 

Half of the issue is that it's virtually impossible to get good, wholemeal flour. 25% wholemeal seems to be as much as you'll get. 

So perhaps before going down the sourdough route, I'll start milling my own flour. But if I'm going to go to all that effort, then sourdough doesn't seem like much more outlay. 

Great effort though - your loaves look outstanding!

I’ve joined a Sourdough forum so I can get mid-life crisis out of the way early, and I’ve seen people who mill their own flour. Certainly seems like a lot of effort but apparently the quality of the bread is incredible. I’ve just signed a long lease for 4 acres of land where I’m starting a permaculture farm in the new year and I will definitely be growing my own wheat to try it out.

• Like 2