Hazel thatching spars

Acerforestry

I frequently have access to standing hazel and the idea of making some thatching spars on ever frequent  torrential rain days is gaining appeal - has anyone on here any experience of producing them and is there only seasonal demand - based on the idea that I imagine most thatching takes place in the warmer months, or do thatchers stock up on on materials throughout the cooler months. Any info appreciated TIA, Phil

Some are people still making them if you search on on FB theres a coppice group that has a few hazel coppicers that post up pics or hazel products /cutting etc some are making spars.

£200 per 1000  I think was the highest price for spars

Also other stuff like bean sticks hurdles etc hedging stakes etc

Most hazel  coppice isn't in a very good state or management  so makes it alot harder to be profitable from versus the best blocks.

Often overstood gappy or to much % canaopy cover from standards etc deer browsing & damage etc.

WWW.SSCOPPICEGROUP.CO.UK

A GUIDE TO HAZEL COPPICE ASSESSMENT By Jonathan Howe The following notes are meant as a beginners guide to...

Edited by Stere

18 minutes ago, Stere said:

Most hazel  coppice isn't in a very good state or management  so makes it alot harder to be profitable from versus the best blocks.

This is the crux; most out of rotation coppice will not produce stems of a quality to produce decent rods useful for anything other than ethering for hedge laying.

Often you need to coppice the lot and wait 7 years or more which can be a problem if deer pressure is high.

I do some conservation volunteering in woods near home which includes coppicing hazel that was put back into a 7 year rotation 9 years ago, so we're on the second cut. A local chap who also coppices himself takes some of the product to use for spars and seems to get decent commercial orders for them, I believe he's got one thatcher who travels from Norfolk to Wiltshire to collect them but no idea on pricing. They need to be processed relatively soon after cutting and I think the thatchers also want them fairly fresh to maintain their pliability.

• Like 1

i think the best approach here is to put a few feelers out, on Woodlots and the like first and see what happens. I understand imports can sometimes scupper the efforts of local craftspeople but that doesn't mean that opportunities don't exist. I have seen current websites where producers of spars are asking a lot more than 20 pence a unit, but that doesn't mean they are shifting them admittedly